Fort Sumpter

Dear List Members;

I want to mention long before Fort Sumter's attack by Confederate forces; the progress was initiated by South Carolina's Governor alone until the CSA as a provisional government and the election of Jefferson Davis not fully consummated so, Davis came on the tail end of the action, seized the responsibility/glory/acknowledgement from there on. It was in that space of time; Robert Toombs gave warnings as to the folly of attacking a fort. But, Davis did have time to rein in the runaway ferver of Beauregard and the Government of South Carolina; if peace was the mission as claimed by Davis; I would think he would grasp any opportunity given for peace.

Also, what shouldn't be ignored though; but--often it does; was the systematic stealing of US Government arsenal properties and contents; pay-rolls and funds. Remember the bank for the US Government was separate from States, Counties and Townships. You had independent banking systems; but not backed by gold like the Federal Government.

Technically, for me; this was every justification for Federal Governmental response--well before firing on Fort Sumter, by South Carolina forces under the authority of the CSA's provisional government.

Those to whom conspired within the Federal Government in the Buchanan Administration; as to topple the Federal Governmental system; had inside knowledge of all was going on; as instigators. So, for me the CSA had a huge advantage of intelligence; especially Robert Toombs; to which is beyond me why Davis and the entire collective states creating the CSA; fire on Fort Sumpter.

Virginia didn't have their 'dog' in the fight and I'm sure if things didn't go as they did; Virginia may have remained neutral and the entire American Civil War might have taken on a new direction.

I begin to wonder; if Secretary of War; to President Buchanan -- John "Buchanan" Floyd; representing Virginia as a governor, a polititan did not conspire with the "Cotton States" as to provoke Virginia into Civil War against the Federal Government. Virginia was known to be extremely prepared with an excellent militia and arsenal system. And; was accused by the North; by tracking the goods and Floyd's signature--well; he sure is an embarrassment. He resigned in 1860; given a Brigadier General rank in May of 1861 (When Virginia joined in secession); only to be relieved of command for deserting his command at Nashville, Tennessee in 1862.

Floyd, in watching how things unfold really was the major conspirator; he had motive, opportunity, had power, had influence, had the position to influence the President, fellow members of the Government and Cabniet of Buchanan's administration. But; the resignation seemingly happens when the accountability of Governmental properties, treasuries, etc; started a paper trail link to him. Each lame duck President gives a summary of accounts in all affairs of Government to be passed to the new President. This audit might have been the spark of Floyd's resignation--to cover criminal activity more than the issue of state's rights and or the 'cause.'

Personally, if I knew Floyd to be such a opportunist and then a coward; I might have (as President of the CSA) might have taken a different course. But, then as now; for Floyd's true colors to show; it would have been after the fact; so poor President Davis was duped as I would have been, if I was in Davis' shoes.

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

by TerryB
I came across an article in the New York Times archive for April 10, 1865. Anderson was given back the flag to put back up, and quite a crowd of party-goers was there. I guess it would be remembered more in history if the assassination hadn't happened.

Found a couple of photos of that ceremony/event at Sumter, however the caption on them says the date was 4/14/65. If that's correct, then Lincoln would be shot later that evening.

raising-flag-ft-sumter_small1.jpg

Raising Union Flag over Ft. Sumter, April 14, 1865
Charleston, S.C. Crowd inside Fort Sumter awaiting the flag-raising.

fort-sumter-flag-raising.jpg

Fort Sumter Flag Raising Celebration, April 14, 1865
Charleston, S.C. Federal squadron dressed with flags for the anniversary of Maj. Robert Anderson's surrender (1861) seen from a parapet of Fort Sumter

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&cd=1

Here are Major Anderson's orders concerning the forts in Charleston Harbor. Very clear instructions that had authorized Major Anderson to put his forces where he felt best and to defend US property.

"On December 20, 1860, South Carolina seceded from the Union. On the night of the 26th, fearing attack by the excited populace, Maj. Robert Anderson removed the small garrison he commanded at Fort Moultrie to Fort Sumter out in the harbor. Ignorant of an apparent pledge to maintain the harbor status quo, given by President Buchanan some weeks before, Anderson moved in accordance with instructions received December 11, which read:
. . . you are to hold possession of the forts in this harbor, and if attacked you are to defend yourself to the last extremity. The smallness of your force will not permit you, perhaps, to occupy more than one of the three forts, but an attack on or attempt to take possession of any one of them will be regarded as an act of hostility, and you may then put your command into either of them which you may deem most proper to increase its power of resistance. You are also authorized to take similar steps whenever you have tangible evidence of a design to proceed to a hostile act."

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/hh/12/hh12b.htm

It is possible to blame Anderson for moving, but the above was in his fingers when he decided that Moultrie wouldn't do. Don't matter that it was Buell that wrote it and Floyd didn't. This was what he had. Looks like he had permission.

Ole

Ignorant of an apparent pledge to maintain the harbor status quo, given by President Buchanan some weeks before,
Almost no one talked to
Anderson. He had no idea that there had been an "apparent pledge." (We've gone into that already.) Buchanan himself was aware of no pledge. Could we call him back to the witness stand today, he'd likely say, "what pledge?" (I made no pledge. We don't need no stinkin' pledges.)

I am continuing the discussion on Fort Sumter here, brought over from the locked Sovereignty of the Several States thread. I tried it once before, so I hope it sticks now.

AmBu wrote:
I am curious. Who, exactly, threatened Anderson at Moultrie? Other than his dislike of Southern flags (which seems to go on to this day) and their parades, who attacked Moultrie?

Maury Klein writes in Days of Defiance about Anderson's quandary just prior to SC's secession:

"If attacked, he was to defend himself, but no reinforcements would be sent because they might increase already inflamed feelings and trigger the attack no one wanted. Meanwhile, all around him the locals were arming, organizing, drilling, boasting loudly about how the forts would be theirs once the state had seceded. Relations between the officers and citizens had not yet grown hostile, but no one knew how long that civility would last. Rumors exploded like firecrackers and sent people flying in every direction. On the (December) 5th Anderson and Huger went into the city to see the mayor and some other prominent citizens and received the same messages from all of them: They would do everything to prevent a mob, but one way or another the forts would be theirs after secession."

Clearly, Anderson felt his small command was threatened. Moultrie was a fort designed to prevent assault by sea, not by land. The point being he was trying to remove his command before it was attacked. Clearly, he was being threatened.

There's more:

"The more Anderson brooded over the impossibility of the situation, the more he found to brood over....Then came another unsettling piece of news: Foster and other men reported that steamers had begun patrolling the waters between Moultrie and Sumter on the night of the 20th. The night watch had hailed one of them from Pinckney and asked what it wanted, 'You will know in a week' came the reply across the dark water.

"What did it mean? Anderson wondered."

South Carolina was hardly an innocent in this. No wonder Anderson moved his men.

Vareb wrote:
If what you say is true, why would Andersons men sneak into Fort Sumter and put the people inside under bayonet point? They weren't soldiers.

Klein writes: "This ruse enabled Doubleday to reach Sumter before the others. Quickly his men gathered their gear and ran ashore. A crowd of workmen from the fort, some of them wearing blue secession cockades, rushed out to met them. "What are these soldiers doing here?' shouted the more belligerent of them. Doubleday formed his men to advance with fixed bayonets, drove them back into the fort, and seized the guardroom that commanded the entrance. All cheers and other noise were silenced at once...

"...after the boats had unloaded their cargoes, they were filled with those workmen considered disloyal and sent back to the mainland...

"...it was done...

"...There would be hell to pay when Charleston awoke to the news, Anderson was sure of that. But he was even more certain that he had done the right thing, the only thing, to avert disaster."

It seems to me the workmen in question were civilians on a federal military installation, an installation under Anderson's command ever since he arrived on Moultrie on Nov. 21. It's only prudent to restrain and remove those who appear to be hostile on a military base. I'm guessing that even today, a civilian acting with anti-government hostility on a military base will be either expelled or confined.

Dear PvtClewell;

I agree with your post #45.

What is a huge problem, it seems; is that the "South" and or "Confederate" individuals fail to acknowledge that South Carolinia was ready for a brawl far beyond Major Anderson's transfer to the Charleston Harbor (SC).

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 1 [S# 1] CHAPTER I.
CORRESPONDENCE AND ORDERS RELATING SPECIALLY TO THE OPERATIONS IN CHARLESTON HARBOR FROM OCTOBER 31, 1860, TO APRIL 14, 1861.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#1
ORDNANCE OFFICE, WAR DEPARTMENT,
Washington, November 1, 1860.
Col. J. L. GARDNER,
Commanding Fort Moultrie, Charleston, S.C.:
SIR: I transmit herewith a copy of a letter addressed by me to the Secretary of War, which has been approved by him, and which I submit to you for your views as to the expediency or propriety of placing arms in the hands of hired men for the purpose indicated.
Should you approve the measure I will thank you to request Military Storekeeper Humphreys to make the issue indicated in said letter, and to report the fact to this office that it may be covered by an order for supplies.
Respectfully, &c.,
H. K. CRAIG,
Colonel of Ordnance.
[Inclosure.]
ORDNANCE OFFICE, WASHINGTON, D. C.,
October 31, 1860.
Hon. J. B. FLOYD,
Secretary of War:
SIR: There is at Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor, now in course of construction, besides a part of its armament, a considerable quantity of ammunition, &c., and it has been suggested by the Engineer officer in charge of the work that a few small-arms placed in the hands of his workmen for the protection of the Government property there might be a useful precaution. If the measure should, on being communicated, meet with the concurrence of the commanding officer of the troops in the harbor, I recommend that I may be authorized to issue forty muskets to the Engineer officer.
With much respect,
H. K. CRAIG,
Colonel of Ordnance.
[Indorsement.]
WAR DEPARTMENT,
October 31, 1860.
Approved:
J. B. FLOYD,
Secretary of War.
-----------------------
If there were no concerns, why would the Colonel in charge; be putting weapons in the hands of workers for?.
--------------------------------------
WASHINGTON, D.C. November 11, 1860.
Col. S. COOPER,
Adjutant-General, Washington City:
[excerpt]
FORT MOULTRIE.

The following events, which transpired the day I arrived at Fort Moultrie, I deem proper to report here, as I have orally heretofore, as they relate to an act of unusual importance, tending to indicate the inflammable and impulsive state of the public mind in Charleston--to a great extent characteristic of the feeling manifested throughout the State--and necessity for prudence and judgment on the part of the commanding officer in all transactions which may bear upon the relations of the Federal Government to the State of South Carolina, and of the Army to our citizens. I regard it especially important to refer to them, as Colonel Gardner informed me he should make no report.
The military storekeeper has at the arsenal in the city a large number of arms and quantity of ammunition, which, fearing it might fall into improper hands he desired to secure to the United States, and under counsel from Colonel Gardner he packed them up and held in readiness to be shipped to Fort Moultrie whenever Colonel Gardner should send for them. Availing himself of an approved requisition for paints, lacquers, &c., needed at the post, he sent Captain Seymour to the city for the supply and other articles that the military storekeeper might wish to have stored at the post, and thus secured in case of negro insurrections. The owner of the wharf refused permission to ship them. A crowd collected, and suspecting an attempt on the part of the Government to smuggle (it being late in the evening, or after dark) arms, ammunition, &c., from the city, to be used against it, or to prevent their use by citizens in case of disturbances, would not permit the property to be carried away.
FORT SUMTER.
Fort Sumter is not completed, and is now occupied by the Engineers, under the direction of Lieutenant Snyder (Captain Foster being absent), who has employed upon it some hundred and ten men. A portion of the armament is mounted, but for its defense a few regular soldiers, to overawe the workmen and to control them, only would be necessary at present. The lower embrasures are closed, and if the main gate be secured a storming-party would require ladders twenty feet in length to gain admission. No arms are here, and I doubt if they would be serviceable in the hands of workmen, who would take the side of the stronger force present. Unless it should become necessary I think it advisable not to occupy this work so long as the mass of engineer workmen are engaged in it. The completion of those parts essential for the accommodation of a company might be hastened. The magazine contains thirty-nine thousand four hundred pounds of powder. The number of guns on hand is seventy-eight, consisting of 8 and 10 inch columbiads, 8-inch sea-coast howitzers. 42 pounder guns, and 32 and 24-pounders, with carriages, shot, shell, implements, &c.
CASTLE PINCKNEY.
Castle Pinckney commands Charleston, and its armament is complete. Here the powder belonging to the arsenal in the city is stored. A company can be accommodated here, while a small force under an officer would secure it against surprise or even a bold attack of such enemies likely to undertake it. It is under the charge of an ordnance sergeant, who keeps everything in as good order as possible. The quarters and magazine require repairs. Under present circumstances I would not recommend its occupation.I am, colonel, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
F. J. PORTER,
Assistant Adjutant-General.
------------------------------------------------
Still under Colonel Gardner.
-----------------------------------------------
-----
CHARLESTON ARSENAL, S.C.,
November 12, 1860.
Col. H. K. CRAIG,
Chief of Ordnance, U. S. A., Washington, D.C.:
SIR: In view of the excitement now existing in this city and State, and the possibility of an insurrectionary movement on the part of the servile population, the governor has tendered, through General Schnierle, of South Carolina Militia, a guard, of a detachment of a lieutenant and twenty men for this post, which has been accepted.Trusting that this course may meet the approval of the Department, I am, sir, very respectfully, your most obedient servant,
F. C. HUMPHREYS,
Military Storekeeper Ordnance, Commanding.
-------------------------------------------
This is still when South Carolina had some sanity and there was a cooperation between US Army and SC militia.
--------------------------------------------------
ADJUTANT-GENERAL'S OFFICE,
Washington, D. C., November 12, 1860.
Maj. ROBERT ANDERSON,
First Artillery, Care of A. A. G., Hdqrs. Army, New York:
SIR: The Secretary of War desires to see you, and directs that you proceed to this city and report to him without unnecessary delay.
I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
S. COOPER,
Adjutant-General.
-----------------------------------------
SPECIAL ORDERS, No. 137.
HEADQUARTERS OF THE ARMY,
New York, November 15, 1860.
Major Robert Anderson, First Artillery, will forthwith proceed to Fort Moultrie, and immediately relieve Bvt. Col. John L. Gardner, lieutenant-colonel of First Artillery, in command thereof; who, on being relieved, will repair without delay to San Antonio, Texas, and report to the commanding officer of the Department of Texas for duty, with that portion of his regiment serving therein.
By command of Lieutenant-General Scott:
L. THOMAS,
Assistant Adjutant, General.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Given the large amount of correspondences between Charleston Harbor's commanding officer "Gardner"; hostilities and concerns were raised well before Major Anderson was even assigned to the Forts surrounding the harbor. Further; the Adjudant General S. Cooper would become the Confederate General to be Inspector General and Adjudant General to whom transferred CSA documents safely after the Civil War ended. Giving further weight to the credibility of the whole affair at Ft. Sumter
================================================== ==
CHARLESTON ARSENAL November 20, 1860.
Col. H. K. CRAIG,
Ordnance. Department:
SIR: In obedience to the instructions of the War Department I came to this place and have assumed command of the arsenal. The excitement concerning this arsenal which existed here a short time since is very much allayed, and this result is in a great measure due to the prudence and discretion of the military storekeeper, Mr. Humphreys, whose conduct on the occasion meets my commendation.Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
BENJ. HUGER,
Brevet-Colonel, U. S. Army.
[Indorsement.]
ORDNANCE OFFICE, November 24, 1860.
Respectfully submitted to the Secretary of War for his information.
WM. MAYNADIER,
Captain of Ordnance.
-----
CONTINUED

No. 1.] FORT MOULTRIE, S.C., November 23, 1860.
Col. S. COOPER,
Adjutant-General, U. S. Army:
COLONEL: In compliance with verbal instructions from the honorable Secretary of War, I have the honor to report that I have inspected the forts of this harbor. As Major Porter has recently made a report in relation to them, I shall confine my remarks mainly to other matters, of great importance, if the Government intends holding them. At Fort Moultrie the Engineer, Captain Foster, is working very energetically on the outer defenses, which will, should nothing unforseen occur to prevent, be finished and the guns mounted in two weeks. There are several sand hillocks within four hundred yards of our eastern wall, which offer admirable cover to approaching parties, and would be formidable points for sharpshooters. Two of them command our work. These I shall be compelled to level, at least sufficiently to render our position less insecure than it now is. When the outworks are completed, this fort, with its appropriate war garrison, will be capable of making a very handsome defense. It is so small that we shall have little space for storing our provisions, wood, &c. The garrison now in it is so weak as to invite an attack, which is openly and publicly threatened. We are about sixty, and have a line of rampart of 1,500 feet in length to defend. If beleaguered, as every man of the command must be either engaged or held on the alert, they will be exhausted and worn down in a few days and nights of such service as they would then have to undergo.
At Fort Sumter the guns of the lower tier of casemates will be mounted, the Engineer estimates, in about seventeen days. That fort is now ready for the comfortable accommodation of one company, and, indeed, for the temporary reception of its proper garrison.
Captain Foster states that the magazines (4) are done, and in excellent condition; that they now contain 40,000 pounds of cannon powder and a full supply of ammunition for one tier of guns. This work is the key to the entrance of this harbor; its guns command this work, and could soon drive out its occupants. It should be garrisoned at once. Castle Pinckney, a small casemated work, perfectly commanding the city of Charleston, is in excellent condition, with the exception of a few repairs, which will require the expenditure of about $500. They are--1st, replacing three water Casks and the old banquette on the gorge; 2d, repairing one of the cisterns and the old palisading, which, though much rotten, may at a trifling expense be made to answer for the present; 3d, making six shutters for the embrasures and doing some slight work to the main gates. Two mortars and a few other articles belonging to this work were taken to the United States Arsenal in Charleston some months since for repair. They are still there. I shall ask the officer in charge to return them as soon as he can. The magazine is not a very good one; it contains some rifle and musket powder, said to be good, and also some cannon powder reported damaged. The powder belongs to the arsenal. It is, in my opinion, essentially important that this castle should be immediately occupied by a garrison, say, of two officers and thirty men. The safety of our little garrison would be rendered more certain, and our fort would be more secure from an attack by such a holding of Castle Pinckney than it would be from quadrupling our force. The Charlestonians would not venture to attack this place when they knew that their city was at the mercy of the commander of Castle Pinckney. So important do I consider the holding of Castle Pinckney by the Government that I recommend, if the troops asked for cannot be sent at once, that I be authorized to place an Engineer detachment, consisting, say, of one officer, two masons, two carpenters, and twenty-six laborers, to make the repairs needed there. They might be sent without any opposition or suspicion, and would in a short time be sufficiently instructed in the use of the guns in the castle to enable their commander to hold the castle against any force that could be sent against it. If my force was not so very small I would not hesitate to send a detachment at once to garrison that work. Fort Sumter and Castle Pinckney must be garrisoned immediately if the Government determines to keep command of this harbor.
I need not say how anxious I am--indeed, determined, so far as honor will permit--to avoid collision with the citizens of South Carolina. Nothing, however, will be better calculated to prevent bloodshed than our being found in such an attitude that it would be madness and folly to attack us. There is not so much of feverish excitement as there was last week, but that there is a settled determination to leave the Union, and to obtain possession of this work, is apparent to all. Castle Pinckney, being so near the city, and having no one in it but an ordnance sergeant, they regard as already in their possession. The clouds are threatening, and the storm may break upon us at any moment. I do, then, most earnestly entreat that a re-enforcement be immediately sent to this garrison, and that at least two companies be sent at the same time to Fort Sumter and Castle Pinckney--half a company, under a judicious commander, sufficing, I think, for the latter work. I feel the full responsibility of making the above suggestions, because I firmly believe that as soon as the people of South Carolina learn that I have demanded re-enforcements, and that they have been ordered, they will occupy Castle Pinckney and attack this fort. It is therefore of vital importance that the troops embarked (say in war steamers) shall be designated for other duty. As we have no men who know anything about preparing ammunition, and our officers will be too much occupied to instruct them, I respectfully request that about half a dozen ordnance men, accustomed to the work of preparing fixed ammunition, be sent here, to be distributed at these forts.
Two of my best officers, Captain Seymour and Lieutenant Talbot, are delicate, and will, I fear, not be able to undergo much fatigue. With these three works garrisoned as requested, and with a supply of ordnance stores, for which I shall send requisitions in a few days, I shall feel that, by the blessing of God, there may be a hope that no blood will be shed, and that South Carolina will not attempt to take these forts by force, but will resort to diplomacy to secure them. If we neglect, however, to strengthen ourselves, she will, unless these works are surrendered on their first demand, most assuredly immediately attack us. I will thank the Department to give me special instructions, as my position here is rather a politico-military than a military one.
I presume, also, that the President ought to take some action in reference to my being a, member of the Military Academy Commission, which is to reconvene in the city of Washington in a few days.

Unless otherwise specially directed, I shall make future communications through the ordinary channels.
I am, colonel, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
ROBERT ANDERSON,
Major, First Artillery, Commanding.
-----
ADJUTANT-GENERAL'S OFFICE,
Washington, November 24, 1860.
Maj. ROBERT ANDERSON,
First Regiment Artillery, U. S. A.,
Commanding Fort Moultrie, Charleston, S.C.:
MAJOR: The Secretary of War desires that you will communicate, with the least delay practicable, the present state of your command, and everything which may relate to the condition of the work under your charge and its capabilities of defense, together with such views as you may have to suggest in respect to the same. He desires to be informed whether, in view of maintaining the troops ready for efficient action and defense, it might not be advisable to employ reliable persons, not connected with the military service, for purposes of fatigue and police.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
S. COOPER,
Adjutant-General.
---------------------------------------------------
It is evident, that South Carolina was in a state of tension well before Major Andrews arrived but, for some reason this is always 'denied' by those who try to make it all a Northern issue.

To get to this point of the attack on Fort Sumter; this isn't a sudden happening. The situation was already teeter-tottering on both Col. Gardner's watch and on Major Anderson's watch.

I only see officers trying to build and or repair forts as to be able to defend from them.

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

Back