Fort Pillow State Historic Site

This is a photo I took while hiking the Outer Earthworks a few weeks ago.
When you drive around the south end of the Lake, you pass through the Outer Eatherworks from 1862. This is said to the a location of one of the entrances into the Fort. There is a hiking trail (Yellow trail) that follows this Outer works to the East and goes all the way to the paved road. The Yellow trail continues north along the paved road and re-enters the woods and continues completely around the park and Interpretive Center.
BTW, the Park does extend East of the paved road. I believe the marked trails extend over there and there may be more original earthworks. I expect this area is not used much and not maintained.
Some sections of this trail it appears to be two rows of earthworks. I don't know if one was a road that paralled the Fort's works or if I'm seeing a ditch in front of the fort. I've never hiked this trail and now I a ton of questions.

FtPillow_OuterWorks.jpg

Here is another photo near the Inner Fort. View looking approximately North in the direction of the Fort.
As you leave the Inner Fort on the graveled road, there is a dirt road that branches off to the Right. This is the locaion of the two Markers: one for the Cabins and one for the Rifle Pits. I believe that green seen int he background is the Inner Fort.
FtPillow__RiflePits.jpg

Back