Fort O'Brien (ME)

NFB22

Sergeant Major
Fort O'Brien, also known as Fort Machias, is an earthwork fort located near the town of Machiasport, Maine. The fort was designed to defend Machias Bay located at the mouth of the Machias River. Construction of the original fort began in 1775 after news of the Battles of Lexington & Concord arrived in Maine. Captain Jeremiah O'Brien and Colonel Benjamin Foster oversaw construction of the fort which consisted of one earthwork battery with various buildings built to the rear. The fort is named after Jeremiah O'Brien who aided in its construction and would go on to become a Revolutionary War naval hero.
fort obrien 1.jpg

During the Revolutionary War the fort was attacked and captured by British forces in 1777 but quickly abandoned and regarrisoned by American troops. Following the war the fort was rebuilt. A stone battery was erected and housed 4 guns along with other stone structures including a blockhouse. During the War of 1812 the fort was once again attacked and captured by British troops who captured each piece of artillery and destroyed the fort before abandoning the site.
800px-Fort_Machias_-_7.jpg

The site lay abandoned for almost 50 years until the fear of privateers along the Maine coast following the "Battle" of Portland Harbor brought about the reactivation of the fort. A new earthwork battery was erected adjacent to the original fort and mounted 5 guns (3 32-pounders & 2 24-pounders). During the war the fort was garrisoned by state troops however it never fired a shot in anger.
4-Cannon-at-Fort-OBrien.jpg

Following the war the fort was garrisoned for a short time before the ordinance was removed and the fort abandoned for the final time. The site would be under the charge of the federal government until 1923 when the land was turned over to the state of Maine. In the 1960's the fort became the Fort O'Brien State Historic Site and in 1969 was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Today the site is open during the summer and is under the charge of the state. Vistors can tour the forts Civil War-era earthwork battery where there is a 12 pounder on display. You can also tour the remains of the War of 1812 battery, stone ruins of post buildings and the earthern magazine.

http://www.fortwiki.com/Fort_O'Brien
http://www.state.me.us/doc/parks/programs/history/fortobrien/fort.htm

Also be sure to check out all "forgotten forts" in the Forgotten Forts Series Index (Link Below)
http://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/forgotten-forts-series-index.80901/

Another interesting fort. Only been to Maine once many years ago. Hope to go back one day.

Maine has a ton of interesting fortifications along the coast however becasue they were so far from the action they really are forgotten. I've already done a few in Maine including Fort Scammel and Fort Gorges and you should see another shortly. I'd like to make it up there someday and go exploring.

Back