Fort Morgan - Mobile Bay, Alabama

* Battle of Mobile Bay Anniversary Bump!

20210805_061045.jpg

Very interesting thread.

Expedition X on Discovery Channel just had 2 part series on the Fort and Paranormal Activity there. It is worth seeing. I think you can stream it if you have streaming capabilities.

We watch this series every week. It is on Wed. nights on the Discovery Channel.. Check your local listings.
Interesting !
I'll have to check it out.

While I'm not really not aware of the paranormal activity at Fort Morgan, I'm not surprised.

However, I do seem to recall something about the ghost of a Confederate guard that many claim to have seen at one of the entrances.

:unsure:

Located on Mobile Point, at the end of Scenic Fort Morgan Peninsula, Fort Morgan Historic Site has a diverse number of activities to make your vacation a memorable one. Preceded by another fort, Fort Bowyer during the War of 1812, Fort Morgan is a Third System masonry fort built between 1819 and 1833. Standing guard where the bay meets the Gulf of Mexico, the fort played a significant role in the Battle of Mobile Bay in August 1864. Used intermittently through the Spanish American War, World War I and World War II, the site showcases the evolution of seacoast fortifications and adaptations made by the U.S. Army for the defense of the country. In 1946 the site was turned over to the State of Alabama as a historic site. The grounds offer more than just history, the site also has nature areas, a boat launch, picnic area, and beaches for visitors to enjoy.

View attachment 330448

View attachment 330449

View attachment 330450

View attachment 330451

View attachment 330452

View attachment 330453

View attachment 330454

View attachment 330455

View attachment 330456

View attachment 330457

View attachment 330458

View attachment 330460

View attachment 330461

View attachment 330462

View attachment 330463
Love me some Ft. Morgan and Dauphin... I found alot along that beach... I still have a couple 2005 cans from Katrina from the dunes there.

Expedition X on Discovery Channel just had 2 part series on the Fort and Paranormal Activity there. It is worth seeing. I think you can stream it if you have streaming capabilities.

Every damned fort in the country now seems ghost infested. When I volunteered with the NPS at the castillo in St. Augustine some local tour guides had many nonsensical stories about tragic couples whose ghosts haunted non existent secret chambers at the fort. And "ghost tours" seem to be a lucrative racket in the town.

When visitors to the fort asked me about the presence of ghosts they got a terse reply that we dealt in history.

Every damned fort in the country now seems ghost infested.
:bounce:

So true !

Same with every "antebellum" house in the Deep South.

Many times, it's all about marketing.
Potential customers live for "haunted" stuff.

When I volunteered with the NPS at the castillo in St. Augustine

That is my favorite colonial fort on the USA mainland.

Although I'm not sure, I've heard a few rumours that the Fort Matanzas satellite site outside St. Augustine ... is now closed and in disrepair.

Again, I have no idea if that's true or not.

However, I would very much enjoy hearing your stories about the Castillo de San Marcos .
And I'm not referring to ghosts.

Last edited:
:bounce:

Although I'm not sure, I've heard a few rumours that the Fort Matanzas satellite site outside St. Augustine ... is now closed and in disrepair.

Again, I have no idea if that's true or not.

However, I would very much enjoy hearing your stories about the Castillo de San Marcos .
And I'm not referring to ghosts.

When I left St. Augustine about 5 years ago Fort Matanzas was in fine shape. I might go to St. Augustine for a month or so this winter, depending. I'm moving back to Chicago in December so I'll be almost there. ;-)

When I left St. Augustine about 5 years ago Fort Matanzas was in fine shape. I might go to St. Augustine for a month or so this winter, depending. I'm moving back to Chicago in December so I'll be almost there. ;-)

That's great to hear !

As I said, I didn't know if there was any truth to the rumour or not.

No doubt you would have heard about issues down there before the rest of us !

I will say, it's been years since I toured the Castillo, but from what I've seen on line, I'm highly impressed with improvements
over the last few years.

@Buckeye Bill .. thank you for these extraordinary photographs....been roaming around that Fort since I was a toddler. My 90 yr.old aunt lives at Shellbanks, which is abt. 5 or 6 miles from there...she was a re-enactor, in her day!

Have wondered about this legend (?) which was told by Mr. Hatchett Chandler, who tended the fort for decades:
745245D7-86B7-46D6-BF72-BF6951204A9F.jpeg

Every damned fort in the country now seems ghost infested. When I volunteered with the NPS at the castillo in St. Augustine some local tour guides had many nonsensical stories about tragic couples whose ghosts haunted non existent secret chambers at the fort. And "ghost tours" seem to be a lucrative racket in the town.

When visitors to the fort asked me about the presence of ghosts they got a terse reply that we dealt in history.
I know right? Cheapens and dilutes all the REAL ghost haunted sites...................:wink:

I am a bigger fan of Fort Gaines. But I still enjoyed my tour of Fort Morgan after we rode the ferry from Fort Gaines.

Bill
rebel brit, @ucvrelics and myself were just down there a month or so ago and as it was a rather rough day on the bay, we forgo the ferry trip across to Fort Morgan.

Back