Fort Lincoln Brigade HQ Photo

Greg Taylor

Sergeant Major
Brigade HQ Compressed.jpg

This photo may very well include my great-great grandfather, William B. Phillips. It is in the Library of Congress collection and is entitled " Washington DC-Brigade HQ at Fort Lincoln c.1861"
He was on the Brigade staff while at Fort Lincoln as a part of the defenses of Washington D.C. I have no verfiable photo of his so I can't determine if one of these men is him. To do so I need a more accurate date of the photo. I know that 1861 is incorrect because the commander of the Brigade Col. Augustus A. Gibson, who is in the photo was the Commander of Fort Delaware until August 1862. What I want to know is if anyone has an idea of how I can get a better date on the photo which is from a large Matthew Brady collection of 7,000 photos aquired by the LOC in 1977.

Thanks for the photo. Fort Lincoln in now part of Fort Lincoln Cemetery and three artillery guns overlook the cemetery. Both of my parents are buried there which is only proper as he was quite a Lincoln fan. If you need info, this forum is probably one of your best bets.

I visited the Fort Lincoln site in 2007 while doing research on my g-g grandfather's Civil War letters, many of which were written from Fort Lincoln and no doubt from the building shown in the photo. The actual site of the fort is now a small city park. It is on an elevated knoll which affords a very good view of the surrounding area. During the War the fort guarded the railroad line to Baltimore and the Bladensburg Turnpike.

Back