Fort Fisher

gary

Captain
Was there also a Confederate Fort Fisher around the area of Petersburg? I know of Fort Fisher in North Carolina, but in Virginia? There's no reference in Boatner's Dictionary of the Civil War nor in Faust's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Civil War. Thanks.

Found it! There is a Fort Fisher SW of Petersburg but it's a Union Fort Fisher.

Gary!

Found it! There is a Fort Fisher SW of Petersburg but it's a Union Fort Fisher.

Yes, it is where Wrights sixth corp. use a wedge shape formation an assaulted the confederated line and broke through on April 2nd, upon Grant's famous order to assault the confederate positions up and down the line after Five Forks victory.

It was men from the sixth corp that killed A.P. Hill that day..

More!

See, the union view of the war gets no love as I have mention in another post.

The wedge was just another idea on how to break through the breastworks and entrenchments. In hindsight the confederate troops were too thin out to hold off the union assaulted all accross their lines.

Dear List Members,

I do recall, that Second Lieutenant Alexander "Sandie" Swift Pendleton, featured in "Gods and Generals" and factually, an AGG to Lt. General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson and present at Jackson's wounding -- went on to serve under General Richard S. Ewell and then later serve as AGG to General Jubal A. Early. He had married Kate Corbin and she was expecting when Colonel (I believe by then) Sandie Pendleton was mortally wounded at "Fisher's Hill" on September 22nd, 1864 and died of his wounds on the 23rd.

Is Fisher's Hill connected to Fort Fisher in North Carolina or Virginia?

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

Wolf!

Dear List Members,

I do recall, that Second Lieutenant Alexander "Sandie" Swift Pendleton, featured in "Gods and Generals" and factually, an AGG to Lt. General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson and present at Jackson's wounding -- went on to serve under General Richard S. Ewell and then later serve as AGG to General Jubal A. Early. He had married Kate Corbin and she was expecting when Colonel (I believe by then) Sandie Pendleton was mortally wounded at "Fisher's Hill" on September 22nd, 1864 and died of his wounds on the 23rd.

Is Fisher's Hill connected to Fort Fisher in North Carolina or Virginia?

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

No, Fisher Hill is by Strasbourg, VA. in the Shenandoah Valley. Ft. Fisher I have been talking about is in VA. by Petersburg, VA. and a union fort.

M E Wolf,

Fisher's Hill, near Strasburg, Va., was probably named for the property owner, a David Fisher who owned a mill there at the time of the battle.

Fort Fisher, in Wilmington, was named for Col. Charles F. Fisher of the 6th NC, and who came from Salisbury, NC, and who was killed in First Manassas.

Private Museum

Way back during the centennial, my family went to Petersburg and I think Fort Fisher was a private museum, but, perhaps memory fails me.

I thought it was neat that there was another Fort Fisher.

Back