Fort Donelson National Battlefield (NPS Tour Stops)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* Fort Donelson National Battlefield Main Entrance off US 79

20111003_1.JPG

* Fort Donelson National Battlefield Visitor Center

20111003_7.JPG

* Tour Stop #1 : Confederate Monument

20111003_15.JPG

* Tour Stop #3 : Fort Donelson Reconstructed Log Hut

20111003_25.JPG

* Tour Stop #4 : River Batteries

20111003_37.JPG

* Tour Stop #4 : Lower River Battery (Historic Cumberland River)

20111003_34.JPG

* Tour Stop #7 : French's Battery

20111003_49.JPG

* Brigadier General Ulysses S. Grant, USA Headquarters Site

20111003_47.JPG

* Tennessee State Historic Marker : The Dover Hotel

20111003_60.JPG

* Tour Stop #10 : Dover Hotel (Surrender House)

20111003_63.JPG

* Tour Stop #11 : Fort Donelson National Cemetery

20111003_55.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2011)

Great Photos, I had to go look at mine. I think everyone gets the entry sign photo I did hahah. And a barge was going by when I took the water battery photo. Also we took a side trip to Fort Henry and here is what we ended up with:

Attachments

• DX_5.jpg
    DX_5.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 384
  • DX_13.jpg
    DX_13.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
My relatives in the 56th Virginia were some of the lucky few Rebs that were able to escape, don't know how they did it.Beautiful pictures as always Mr.Bechmann, Looks like a nice peaceful place, looks like the weather was excellent too, the opposite of the freezing cold and snowy conditions during the actual battle.

My relatives in the 56th Virginia were some of the lucky few Rebs that were able to escape, don't know how they did it.Beautiful pictures as always Mr.Bechmann, Looks like a nice peaceful place, looks like the weather was excellent too, the opposite of the freezing cold and snowy conditions during the actual battle.

I think the 56th VA mostly came off with Floyd in the steamer but some went out with Forrest. He had his men carry double on their horses so as to take as many infantry as they could - it was too cold for infantry to wade the ford he discovered.

I think the 56th VA mostly came off with Floyd in the steamer but some went out with Forrest. He had his men carry double on their horses so as to take as many infantry as they could - it was too cold for infantry to wade the ford he discovered.

Thanks for the info

I know they escaped on a steamer, I was really say "I don't know how they did it" in regards to surviving the battles, surviving the cold weather, and going on t fight in one bloodbath after the other. I don't think I would be able to endure that, it was hard, and those civil war soldiers were "spartans"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info

I know they escaped on a steamer, I was really say "I don't know how they did it" in regards to surviving the battles, surviving the cold weather, and going on t fight in one bloodbath after the other. I don't think i would be able to endure that, it was hard, and those civil war soldiers were "spartans"!

Yes, they were! One trooper from that unit left a description of his escape. He had to wade out to the steamer through snow and mud and was perfectly frozen by the time he was hauled aboard. Somebody had stuck a bayonet into a keg of whiskey and he was glad they did or he might have froze solid! He said he'd been up to his shoulders in water. Forrest had crossed where the water was up to the skirts of the saddles, probably about chest deep for an infantryman and that was too cold. There was no keg of whiskey waiting on the other side!

Back