Fort Donelson National Battlefield (NPS Tour Stops)

Join the crowd! I thought the McLean House was the original home of the McLean family. I was corrected by a NPS Ranger on my first visit to the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park in 2008. We are ALL here to learn, my friend.

Bill

* The Battle of Fort Donelson at Dover, Tennessee, commenced on this day in 1862 and ended with a Federal victory on February 16th, 1862. The Federal capture of this Confederate fort opened the Cumberland River, an important avenue for the invasion of the South. This Federal victory elevated Brigadier General Ulysses S. Grant from an obscure and largely unproven leader to the rank of major general. The victory at Fort Donelson earned him the nickname of "Unconditional Surrender" Grant.

The NPS Map of Fort Donelson National Battlefield.

20190211_073307.jpg

On the morning of February 16th, 1862, Confederate Brigadier General Buckner sent a note to Federal Brigadier General Grant requesting a truce and asking for terms of surrender. The note first reached Federal Brigadier General Smith, who exclaimed, "No terms to the damned Rebels!" When the note reached Grant, Smith urged him to offer no terms. Buckner had hoped that Grant would offer generous terms because of their earlier friendship. (In 1854, Grant was removed from command at a U.S. Army post in California allegedly because of alcoholism. Buckner, a fellow U.S. Army officer at that time, loaned Grant money to return home to Illinois after Grant had been forced to resign his commission.) To Buckner's dismay, Grant showed no mercy towards men he considered to be rebelling against the federal government. Grant's brusque reply became one of the most famous quotes of the war, earning him the nickname of "Unconditional Surrender."

* Wikipedia

20190216_085052.jpg

In what State is this park? I am thinking TN and I go to Antioch often and would like to tour.

Another one to add to my list to see.

I live in Cincinnati and this venue is an easy drive south. Give me some heads up and we could hook up and tour together. I have visited this NPS site three times.

Semper Fi,
Bill

P.S. November 10th is right around the corner.

I live in Cincinnati and this venue is an easy drive south. Give me some heads up and we could hook up and tour together. I have visited this NPS site three times.

Semper Fi,
Bill

P.S. November 10th is right around the corner.
I will certainly keep that in mind, sometime in the near future I plan on taking my Grandson on a roadtrip from Lexington, Kentucky to Wright Patterson's Museum as he has developed an interest in aircraft-now if I could only get him interested in the Civil War.

And it will be #244 if I count correctly-
Semper Fi. 👍

I will certainly keep that in mind, sometime in the near future I plan on taking my Grandson on a roadtrip from Lexington, Kentucky to Wright Patterson's Museum as he has developed an interest in aircraft-now if I could only get him interested in the Civil War.

And it will be #244 if I count correctly-
Semper Fi. 👍

My better half works on Wright-Patterson AFB. She is a civilian contractor. If you visit this museum, make sure to visit the Wright Brothers National Park sites. This will definitely fill a two day trip to Dayton, Ohio. You can have a place to stay in Cincinnati and a free tour guide. Dayton is only 58 miles from my home.

Semper Fi,
Bill

My better half works on Wright-Patterson AFB. She is a civilian contractor. If you visit this museum, make sure to visit the Wright Brothers National Park sites. This will definitely fill a two day trip to Dayton, Ohio. You can have a place to stay in Cincinnati and a free tour guide. Dayton is only 58 miles from my home.

Semper Fi,
Bill
I'll certainly keep that in mind-thank you.

Back