Fort Donelson National Battlefield (NPS Tour Stops)

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Join the crowd! I thought the McLean House was the original home of the McLean family. I was corrected by a NPS Ranger on my first visit to the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park in 2008. We are ALL here to learn, my friend.

Bill

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
* The Battle of Fort Donelson at Dover, Tennessee, commenced on this day in 1862 and ended with a Federal victory on February 16th, 1862. The Federal capture of this Confederate fort opened the Cumberland River, an important avenue for the invasion of the South. This Federal victory elevated Brigadier General Ulysses S. Grant from an obscure and largely unproven leader to the rank of major general. The victory at Fort Donelson earned him the nickname of "Unconditional Surrender" Grant.

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
On the morning of February 16th, 1862, Confederate Brigadier General Buckner sent a note to Federal Brigadier General Grant requesting a truce and asking for terms of surrender. The note first reached Federal Brigadier General Smith, who exclaimed, "No terms to the ****ed Rebels!" When the note reached Grant, Smith urged him to offer no terms. Buckner had hoped that Grant would offer generous terms because of their earlier friendship. (In 1854, Grant was removed from command at a U.S. Army post in California allegedly because of alcoholism. Buckner, a fellow U.S. Army officer at that time, loaned Grant money to return home to Illinois after Grant had been forced to resign his commission.) To Buckner's dismay, Grant showed no mercy towards men he considered to be rebelling against the federal government. Grant's brusque reply became one of the most famous quotes of the war, earning him the nickname of "Unconditional Surrender."

* Wikipedia

20190216_085052.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)