Fort Branch Rifled guns

corn-fed-erate

Corporal
I am the Chairman of the Fort Branch Battlefield Commission and thinking about expanding our display. To go along with our recovered cannons I would like to display the kinds of projectiles that the guns would have fired, especially our rifles: 4" Blakley, 4.62 tredagar Brooke rifled "confederate rifle", and 6.4 tredagar banded and Brooke rifled "32 pounder". All guns were in riverface antiship positions. As far as we know, tredagar was the closest source for ammunition. Can anyone offer specific rounds that we can document.

There is a website: www.bulletandshell.com that is followed by some pretty sharp and knowledgeable people in the Civil War artillery field. May I suggest that you go there and enter your question in the forum section. There are also some reference books on heavy artillery shells that I could suggest may have the information that you are seeking. Also, are you seeking the rounds themselves or illustrations of them? There is also at least one company that may be able to provide replicas/reproductions.

Last edited:
Back