Fort Bayard, NM

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Silver Patron
Retired Moderator
I almost didn't post this one...but it really does have a bit of significance to the Civil War. Today we had an interesting conversation about conflict between the Apaches in New Mexico and U.S. troops near Pinos Altos, NM. Pinos Altos is about six miles from Silver City. The U.S. was concerned not only with protecting their settlers in the Southwest, but with protecting the mining activity that would help pay for that grueling and expensive Civil War.

To that end, the establishment of Fort Bayard was requested by Gen. Carleton in 1865, and the fort was constructed in 1866. It was named for Brig. Gen. George Bayard, killed at Fredericksburg in 1862.

Here is a link to its history page: http://www.fortbayard.org/history.html

The fort has deteriorated since I was last there. In the interest of ignoring my overwhelming march to senior citizendom, I won't say how long it's been. :smile:

George Crook served there, and so did the only known female Buffalo Soldier.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Williams

I don't know about you, but I was totally unfamiliar with her, and yes, she did serve during the Civil War. Expired Image Removed

card00109_fr.jpg

FtBayardmonument_zps37f716ca.jpg

There's also a National Cemetery with at least one Medal of Honor winner from the Indian Wars buried there--and there's another buried in Silver City.

dsc04640.jpg

If you've never been to southwestern New Mexico, I highly recommend it.....Silver City, boyhood home of Billy the Kid....Gila Cliff Dwellings.....the mining town of Mogollon.......and Glenwood, which has a scary thing called "The Catwalk" along a canyon (even with my fear of heights, I managed all of them)

32147773.jpg

It's a good way to understand the importance of these far-flung areas of the U.S. during the war, and to see what was going on outside Virginia. :smile:

Thanks, great post ! Very interesting.
I had no idea that there was a female Buffalo Soldier.

Excellent photos too!

Ha...I thought I would be the only one who didn't know about her. We're gonna have to put her on our female soldier list. JPK and Custer's Luck are going to freak.

I need to cross the border to New Mexico. Normally the furthest south I get to is Glorietta.

Back