Forrest Forrest's wartime politics.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
We all know before the war Forrest was a Jacksonian Democrat.

But during the war how did he fit into Confederate politics? It's pretty well known much of the officer class hated him, being blue-bloods and all. But how did Forrest fit into the pro/anti-Davis dynamic?

He was known, much like Lee, Longstreet and Hardee to constantly push reforms to the Confederate military. So did he evolve into more of a Confederate nationalist rather than a state's rightsist, or both at the same time as the war progressed?

We all know before the war Forrest was a Jacksonian Democrat.

But during the war how did he fit into Confederate politics? It's pretty well known much of the officer class hated him, being blue-bloods and all. But how did Forrest fit into the pro/anti-Davis dynamic?

He was known, much like Lee, Longstreet and Hardee to constantly push reforms to the Confederate military. So did he evolve into more of a Confederate nationalist rather than a state's rightsist, or both at the same time as the war progressed?

Forrest seems to have kept a tight lip on his politics, thus I don't think its known where he stood on dang near anything during the War. I suspect his politics stayed the same as before the war, and he didn't care about Davis, the other officers, where any of them stood or anything, all he knew was Tennessee was being invaded and it had to be defended, and a stance of "Who cares about who thinks what, we're all on the same side and got a job to do." Excepting habitual blunderers like Bragg, which I imagine Davis leaving him in place probably didn't help Forrest's feeling whatever they were towards him.

Post-War, I think we all know his stance his no segregation, but death to politicians like Governor Brownlow and the war's over, we're all American's and he loved the US. Speaking of which I expect he never harbored any hatred of the Union, it just invaded and had to be fought. His statement towards the end of his life saying he "loved the flag as much as he did in his youth" is a sign he always loved the Union and thus wasn't a secessionist, just someone doing his duty to his home.

Last edited:
True, I don't know either, but from reading Diane's post regarding NB Forrest, she appears to me to be well read
on NB Forrest.

Oh yes, no doubt she is one of the most knowledgeable people out there on Forrest, if not THE most knowledgeable. Unfortunately she is no longer here, hence why I said I don't know about her chiming in.

Oh yes, no doubt she is one of the most knowledgeable people out there on Forrest, if not THE most knowledgeable. Unfortunately she is no longer here, hence why I said I don't know about her chiming in.
Oh my! I am saddened to hear this! I haven't been on the site in months, due to family emergencies that have overwhelmed me for too long. Apologies for my ignorance.

Back