Forrest Brass Napoleon Award Forrest's Cannae - The Battle of Brice's Crossroads, June 10, 1864

Yes, indeed he should be mentioned - he was very valuable to Forrest during this whole period as a matter of fact. We really should mention him and Bell and some others - we tend to focus on Forrest as if he won the battle all by himself alone!

Very cool uncle to have! :thumbsup:
Yes, it is. My gg grandfather, Alex Rucker, was Edmunds little brother. Edmund was 7 years older. Edmund Rucker seems to have protected him during the war, using his position. Alex was a soldier in the 2nd Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Robison's) (Walker Legion). He was later transferred to a Camp of Instruction, and later, into the Signal Corps. My gg grandfather located in Louisville, Kentucky after the war, and was an attorney. He died at the Pewee Valley Confederates Home , in Oldham, Kentucky

Wow, this is a great post. I was a little disappointed I didn't see my gg uncle mentioned. Edmund Winchester Rucker.:cry:

Yes, indeed he should be mentioned - he was very valuable to Forrest during this whole period as a matter of fact. We really should mention him and Bell and some others - we tend to focus on Forrest as if he won the battle all by himself alone!

Very cool uncle to have! :thumbsup:
Sorry; I tried to somewhat simplify the story and not clutter it up with brigade commanders and any regimental level officers, whether Northern or Southern, other than Bell who arrived as a reinforcement and Bouton, Morton, and Barteau who played key roles in the action.

David,

I would be delighted. Let me know when you are coming so we can make sure I am there!

Tom

My copy of Work for Giants came today and I did not play golf this afternoon so I could start reading. It is very interesting and very well written.
Regards
David
PS I will holler when I'm through and set up a time for an autograph

You must add the refreshing weather conditions of North Mississippi during June. Humidity above 70 percent, temps around mid 90's, no wind and with the heat index above 100 degrees while mucking around in a flooded creek bottom coupled with a fair share of snakes of all persuasions! Sign me up coach!!
Regards
David

My favorite passage (almost) from Ed Bearss' book recounts Gen. Grierson riding along in his slicker, slogging through the mud and rain, head down and probably asleep--and getting knocked off to the delight of his troops. :D I hope we have better weather this year!

When Morton first reported to Forrest for duty, Forrest didn't want any part of "that boy"; however I'm sure that Forrest was glad that Morton stuck around.

It's very clear he thought of him as a son. Morton's book is one of my favorites, and the fondness of the General for just sitting and watching him tells me he was a "teacher's pet" like many of mine (who still come and do manual labor for this old lady at the drop of a hat).

In my opinion, John Morton was the equal of any Civil War artillery officer, very few officers excelled at the concept of "Horse Artillery" like he did and he could make his "Bullpups" roar including his two captured Singer-Nimeck steel 3" rifles.

Hmmm...sort of a "Gallant Pelham"...but he survived.

Thanks for the heads up, I knew it had started out as one acre, and had always thought only the area around the monument was preserved, I never knew that the former Civil War Trust had put so much effort into Brice's Crossroads. As far as it remaining in private hands, given the current wannabe "Red Guard" yahoos running amok and destroying anything that is offensive to their timid eyes, Union or Confederate, I'm in full agreement with keeping it in private hands, doing so seems to be the best bet for preservation in our hectic day and age. If these people cared to learn any history, they might be surprised, plus having a battlefield park nearby can be good for economics, but sadly too many people are short-sighted and wish only to destroy, and a battlefield remaining in private hands seems to be a good tactic for preventing destruction.

It's sad that Forrest is so frequently attacked, both for actions he did commit, and for things he never did, (all to frequently I see statements that he was the founder of the KKK, which while a member of he didn't found), Forrest's actions later in life towards reconciliation of all sides is probably the least remembered part of his life. I suppose it just goes to show that actions in war are better remembered than actions of peace.

When we went through on our September to Remember voyage, we arrived on a beautiful Sunday morning. We were astounded at the number of families, couples and groups--of every composition--walking for exercise, picnicking ("Pick-nicking, Miss Dandridge? Pick-nicking?") and walking the field as we were. It was the picture of what the Trust planned for multiple uses of the land when they began their journey many years ago! The more locals and tourists enjoy the land, the more likely to remain relatively trouble-free (and maybe they'll even pick up a little history along the way!). Much as what we saw at Vicksburg!

True but the the other 2 of Ford's trilogy are pretty good especially as Mauren O' Hara would have been wonderful in any roll!!~!!
Regards
David

Forrest and Lee had 2,100 dismounted cavalrymen with some Mobile artillerists serving as infantry. They were not used to marching in the heat and were so effected by the temps they played no part in the three days of fighting. Smith stole two marches on his opponents (July 7 and July 13) and both resulted in Confederate men and horses marching and counter-marching through the night, exhausting both. When the Confederates made their disastrous attacks at Harrisburg on the 14th and at Old Town Creek on the 15th, literally hundreds of Confederates succumbed to heat exhaustion and many others died of heat stroke. There are some heart-breaking personal accounts that describe how the charge could barely be made at a walk due to the weather and how veterans were on their knees vomiting in the middle of the field.

I used to wander out to the football field during two-a-days and remind the boys they should be glad they weren't on a battlefield wearing wool...while they were doing what I highlighted. August in the heart of Texas is pretty dang brutal.

I am so pleased that you recognize film artistry! But Rio Grande is the best becasue of Maureen O'Hara!!
Regards
David

My granddaddy was a diehard western fan, if it was John Wayne, I watched it growing up. I watched this movie just the other day.

As for Rio Grande, I refuse to watch it. I grew up watching the colorized version, everyone only shows the black and white version which is a step down to me. I guess the colorized version has been eradicated from history.

My granddaddy was a diehard western fan, if it was John Wayne, I watched it growing up. I watched this movie just the other day.

As for Rio Grande, I refuse to watch it. I grew up watching the colorized version, everyone only shows the black and white version which is a step down to me. I guess the colorized version has been eradicated from history.

Colorized? I guess I've missed it. I think it's a shame, because the cinematography is amazing. Maureen O'Hara doesn't NEED color! I also love watching Ben Johnson...my dad roped in the RCA (now PRCA) as a contemporary--Ben was the World Champion steer roper in 1953, and his horsemanship (and that of Yakima Canutt) make those movies special. I got to meet him years ago in Fort Worth. He was an incredibly nice, charming man! (Also got to meet Richard Farnsworth and Wilfred Brimley!)

Colorized? I guess I've missed it. I think it's a shame, because the cinematography is amazing. Maureen O'Hara doesn't NEED color! I also love watching Ben Johnson...my dad roped in the RCA (now PRCA) as a contemporary--Ben was the World Champion steer roper in 1953, and his horsemanship (and that of Yakima Canutt) make those movies special. I got to meet him years ago in Fort Worth. He was an incredibly nice, charming man! (Also got to meet Richard Farnsworth and Wilfred Brimley!)
Did your dad know Jack Buschbaum? (Not 100% sure on the spelling.) He was an old rodeo guy (bronc rider, I think) who retired down here, and he used to hang out at the golf course where my dad worked once upon a time. Buschbaum was pals with Ben Johnson, too, and said he was a super nice guy.

Back