Forrest Forrest statue in Memphis handed over to SCV.

View attachment 339662

That's pretty much the reason I think these fellows should certainly be left alone - although they were buried unceremoniously by their enemies with little or no consideration for them or their remains, nevertheless they lie on the Field of Honor where they fell for their cause.
View attachment 339663

That's a strong statement, James N! They were American soldiers who, as Forrest said in his farewell address, differed honestly with their brethren. They are part of us.

We need to find a link to that thread on the Forrest statue.

I've been searching for that thread for over an hour.

I don't think this is thread you're talking about, but it's still pretty good.

Last edited:
OK @diane, I tkink I may have found the information to which you were referring.

It's not a CWT thread, but I'm pretty sure this was a link within that thread.

That's it! No wonder you couldn't find it here - it wasn't here! That has a whole lot of good information about the Forrest Statue and park. It wasn't just another monument put up during that rather frenetic period of honoring the heroes of the South great and small. There was something in the psyche of people then - these CW generals were almost gone, only a couple or three left - and it was important to them to do this. That's a whole different thread, though!

P S
Could that link be added to CWTalk's directory?

That has a whole lot of good information about the Forrest Statue and park. It wasn't just another monument put up during that rather frenetic period of honoring the heroes of the South great and small.
Absolutely.

I've read some of the original documents in that link again.

It's a fascinating story about that time in our nation's history.

Last edited:
i can relate. I used to work for a guy who, I always swore if I got the chance I was gonna make a special trip just to **** on his final resting place. the jerk went out of his way to make things hard on me. because he was the owner/manager of the biz I worked in and I was only 19 aand / or 20 at the time. complete certifiable number one intensified arse hole he was.

That has a whole lot of good information about the Forrest Statue
I think I mentioned this before, but here's a funny story.

Until the late 1990's, The University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) used Confederate battle flags like other schools use "pom-poms".

Example:
Ole Miss Football game during the late 1980s

151030-stevens-olemiss-tease_t7d9cn.jpeg

Anyway, after an Ole Miss/Memphis State football game one weekend, I tossed one of the smaller flags up to the Forrest statue.

It landed between Forrest's hand and King Philip's reigns.

That little flag stayed in Forrest's hand for almost one year.

:bounce:

Last edited:
I'm sorry that I scared you.

"Upsetting or frightening" anyone with a thirty year old picture of flags was never my intent.

Just relating a fact about that era my friend.

:smoke:
Thank you, that photo from 30 years ago could just as well be from last week at a presidential rally....

And slightly off topic, but as a 'northerner' with the caveat that I am from SW Ohio just 30 miles from KY, I prefer to read about the southern accounts of the war ( maybe an americanism of rooting for the underdog) so the flag itself doesnt offend me in the least when its portrayed from the 1860's, but contemporary depictions take on another meaning.

The SCV seems to have become quite the recycler of choice. Another famous Confederate statue, "Silent Sam" has been turned over in December of 2019, this one to the North Carolina SCV (whose Commander Kevin Stone, btw, leads the SCV's national motorcycle-riding wing, the "Mechanized Cavalry").

The SCV chapter, besides agreeing to take the statue off of the University's hands and keep the statue off of any UNC campus counties anywhere in the state, receives a gift of $2.5 million dollars of University of North Carolina money to establish re-mounting and maintenance of the statue, though (unbelievably imho) not required to use all the money that way (One has to wonder what candidate UNC scholarship students and their parents think of that !).

It was actually the UDC that had put up the monument on the main campus 105 years before. So today's UDC has claimed ownership of the statue, despite its original status as a gift to the U at the time. Subsequently the UDC ceded its claimed ownership of the statue to the SCV in time to enable the deal between the University and the SCV.

Apparently some of these claims and arrangements are being legally challenged by a group of University staffers and even by some of the North Carolina SCV members themselves (apparently, as with other SCV chapters around the Country, there's a bit of a power play going on between apologists and memorialists).

What a mess.

Last edited:
The SCV chapter, besides agreeing to take the statue off of the University's hands and keep the statue off of any UNC campus counties anywhere in the state, receives a gift of $2.5 million dollars of University of North Carolina money to establish re-mounting and maintenance of the statue,
This is great news.

Thanks for letting us know about the latest development !

" receives a gift of $2.5 million dollars of University of North Carolina money to establish re-mounting and maintenance of the statue"

serious? I am all for preserving all the monuments as they are all fascinating history, but UNC money?

Back