Restricted Forrest Park-Post Removal.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Polloco

First Sergeant
It's really a crying shame that I never got to visit the park before the "distruction" took place. Any idea of what is going to happen to the statue?

Vicksburger

First Sergeant
Pictures of the former Forrest Park. October 24, 2018:

44683141_1929351197118596_3920813728269860864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

44746014_1929351207118595_6812145042891735040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

43747901_1929351247118591_5665086937443074048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg
Very sad day in America. But hope for better ones. What are they going to do with the remains, any news on that?

Attachments

Burning Billy

Sergeant
We still have to fight on somehow, there is too much wanton destruction and stupidity as it is now. Intelligence has to come into play again. History is beginning to be lost to ignorance and misunderstanding.
Every civil war statue in existence - north and south - could be torn down and tossed on a rubbish heap tomorrow and it would not in any way affect Americans' (mis)understanding of that war.

History is learned in the classroom or by reading on your own time, published and well researched examinations of the period. No one learns anything from a statue, which is more about memorializing an event or person than passing on a history lesson. Most have very little in the way of text beyond identifying the person or thing being memorialized, and any details beyond that are quite often exaggerated or romanticized.

To be clear I'm not in favor of all the Civil War memorials being scrapped, I just find the argument that history is being destroyed or altered by removing statues to be one that is full of emotion but empty of substance.

mofederal

Captain
The problem is that we have to say stop somewhere. Destroying memorials has a long history in the world, a way for people to wipe those things they see as hated reminder of the old regime. France, Russia, Germany, Eastern Europe, Sure it ends eventually, but people still like to see memorials. My own opinion and I will say no more. We raised a generation of vipers and now we have to live with them in our midst.

Desert Kid

Sergeant Major
The problem is that we have to say stop somewhere. Destroying memorials has a long history in the world, a way for people to wipe those things they see as hated reminder of the old regime. France, Russia, Germany, Eastern Europe, Sure it ends eventually, but people still like to see memorials. My own opinion and I will say no more. We raised a generation of vipers and now we have to live with them in our midst.
Narcissistic vipers.

They don’t care for posterity. Only for likes on Twitter if it means taking down “racism”.

When I was in that park that morning I met with the Chinese doctor also looking at the pedestal. He was working at the medical campus that now surrounds Forrest Park.

He likened the whole thing to the Chinese Civil War that his Nationalist parents fled when the Communists took over.

Think about that.

Desert Kid

Sergeant Major
I think that's a bit of a stretch. His parents were at the least facing major changes in their lives and possibly serious injury or death.
He was comparing our Civil War, or at least aspects of it to the Chinese Civil War and how both are still felt today.