Forrest, Nathan Bedford

"That we are beaten is a self-evident fact, and any further resistance on our part would be justly regarded as the height of folly and rashness...The terms upon which you were surrendered are favorable, and should be satisfactory and acceptable to all. They manifest a spirit of magnanimity and liberality on the part of the Federal authorities which should be met on our part by a faithful compliance with all the stipulations and conditions therein expressed...Civil war, such as you have just passed through, naturally engenders feelings of animosity, hatred and revenge. It is our duty to divest ourselves of all such feelings...The attempt made to establish a separate and independent confederation has failed, but the consciousness of having done your duty faithfully and to the end will in some measure repay for the hardships you have undergone."

Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, May 9, 1865.

Unionblue

Ya`ll have touched a cockle of my heart. Being a "cherry" in this unit I`m still exploring the site. And being a "Forrester" for quite a spell I`ve found home. Let`s begin

"Every moment lost is worth the life of a thousand men" Forrest to Bragg at Chickamauga 9/18-20/63

"We busted the fort at ninerclock and scattered the ******s. The men is still a cillanem in the woods. Them as was cotch with spoons and brestpins and sich was cilld and the rest of the lot was payrold and told to git."

(Fort Pillow)

"We busted the fort at ninerclock and scattered the ******s. The men is still a cillanem in the woods. Them as was cotch with spoons and brestpins and sich was cilld and the rest of the lot was payrold and told to git."

(Fort Pillow)

I wonder if a stenographer was used and if they got this one on film? Not sure I believe it.

I have not seen the original -- only seen it quoted many times -- but I've always figured Forrest must have written this dispatch himself.

if it's fake, I'd like to know.

Frankly The General did not spell that well. There are a couple of legit examples to see and it just does not match. Major Anderson his adjuctant and companion through the war wrote 99.99% of everything the General wanted said and if it did not seem right he would have it adjusted saying "it didn't have the right pitch". The quote above does not have the "right pitch" from the Generals few writings I have seen. This was no simpleton semi literate or not. Nobody did not understand clearly want he ordered or wanted. Ben

Back