Forrest Forrest family "address" in Hernando

lupaglupa

Major
Forum Host
My gr-gr-grandfather lived in Hernando, Mississippi during part of his childhood. His family in the 1850 US Census is listed as dwelling and family number 40 (no addresses given other than the whole group lives in the Northern Division of DeSoto County). Bedford Forrest is dwelling and family number 19. Does anyone know of a resource showing where Forrest and others lived, shown as a physical map?

Here's a thread that mat help you:

Here's a thread that mat help you:

I had seen that - neat restoration. I'm going to have to dig deeper for an actual map. I know I've seen many old town maps where the owners names are attached to the structures.

I had seen that - neat restoration. I'm going to have to dig deeper for an actual map. I know I've seen many old town maps where the owners names are attached to the structures.

The easiest thing is to go to the DeSoto County tax assessor's office and look at maps for the period you want. Then, since you know the census address, you can find where the homes were. They are very detailed--I use them a lot in genealogy. When you find it, send us a photo! I'd love to "stand on the ground"!

@lupaglupa How about trying this? GenWeb is my go-to when I need to find something local.

Great idea! I found a reference to a map from the era at Ole Miss but the archives there doesn't photocopy maps. I've sent a few inquiries out to see if anyone had it but didn't get replies yet. This looks like another good avenue to try. Thanks.

Great idea! I found a reference to a map from the era at Ole Miss but the archives there doesn't photocopy maps. I've sent a few inquiries out to see if anyone had it but didn't get replies yet. This looks like another good avenue to try. Thanks.

These are not always updated, but if you can't find out anything through her, the GenWeb for DeSoto County also has links to their genealogical society, etc. Let us know!

Back