Restricted Forrest Bust at Tennessee State Capitol.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
"The Fort Pillow Massacre in Tennessee on April 12, 1864, in which some 300 African-American soldiers were killed"-History.com
Between April 1867 and February 1868, the US government exhumed 243 bodies from Fort Pillow and reburied them in the National Cemetery at Memphis.
Identified from units that were at Fort Pillow on April 12, 1864 - 3.....from units at the fort prior to 1864 - 48.....Unknown - 192
Other sources identify 109 of the 192 as African-American.
https://www.findagrave.com/virtual-cemetery/793359
Did anyone else notice that 109 is not 300?

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
"The Fort Pillow Massacre in Tennessee on April 12, 1864, in which some 300 African-American soldiers were killed"
-History.com

Between April 1867 and February 1868, the US government exhumed 243 bodies from Fort Pillow and reburied them in the National Cemetery at Memphis.

Identified from units that were at Fort Pillow on April 12, 1864 - 3
" from units at the fort prior to 1864 - 48
Unknown - 192

Source: Gregory J. Macaluso, The Fort Pillow Massacre: The reason why, p.33

Other sources identify 109 of the 192 as African-American.
https://www.findagrave.com/virtual-cemetery/793359

Based on the above figures, do you think the Forrest bust will be returned to the Tennessee State Capitol?

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
It doesn’t surprise me that people still try to make excuses or downplay what happened at Fort Pillow. But it’s still pretty sad nonetheless.

PapaReb

First Sergeant
And wasn’t that in retaliation for massacring black union soldiers?

There is no high ground in the massacre tit-for-tat.
Then stop denigrating one side while giving a pass to the other. There were atrocities committed on both sides of the conflict but it seems the Union always finds a way to justify theirs.
I apologize for straying off topic. I will address this tit for tat no further.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Yes, the Choctaws were after the USCT.

Col. Tandy Walker, 1st Choctaw and Chickasaw Mounted Rifles, Battle of Poison Spring:
"They had met and routed the forces of General Thayer, the ravagers of their country, the despoilers of their homes, and the murderers of their women and children."​

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant

There is no high ground in the massacre tit-for-tat.
I'll need to correct my prior statement, been hurting from a cut and swollen knee these last couple days.

It was a battery of Arkansans that were massacred at Jenkins Ferry by the Second Kansas Colored Infantry, which was a retaliation for what a regiment of Confederate Choctaws did to a Kansas Colored Regiment at Poison Springs, which was a retaliation to said Kansas Colored Regiments carrying out a few raids on Choctaw lands in the Indian Territory.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Based on the above figures, do you think the Forrest bust will be returned to the Tennessee State Capitol?
So you noticed 109 is not 300 too...

Not an answer to my question above.

So, your figures show a reduced death count due to Forrest's attack at Ft. Pillow. You think those reduced numbers will get his bust back into the State Capitol?

I mean, ONLY 109 killed vs. 300, must make a real difference, somehow, don't you think?

Last edited:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
They're not my numbers.

"109 killed vs. 300, must make a real difference"

Do you have an explanation of why they found 109 and not 300?
Nope, answer my question first.

Since only 109 were killed, does that figure give any indication the folks at the Tennessee state capitol will reinstate the Forrest bust?

You seem to think this is a game-changer. Do you think the lower figure will result in the Forrest bust being returned?

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Nope, answer my question first.

Since only 109 were killed, does that figure give any indication the folks at the Tennessee state capitol will reinstate the Forrest bust?

You seem to think this is a game-changer. Do you think the lower figure will result in the Forrest bust being returned?
What do you think? One number looks like a massacre, but the other one doesn't.

"does that figure give any indication the folks at the Tennessee state capitol will reinstate the Forrest bust?"

Last I heard it's still there.

Last edited: