Restricted Forrest Bust at Tennessee State Capitol.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Both the bust in the TN State Capital & the equestrian statue in Memphis were put up in direct reaction to the civil rights movement. They were erected by segregationist white supremacists as symbols of their undying opposition to equal rights for black citizens. The newspaper accounts of the era make that abundantly clear.
This is from the dedication speech of the Forrest monument, May 16, 1905. Does anyone see any white supe talk in it?:

speech.jpg

Quaama

Sergeant
The image has been removed, but I imagine you posted the image of the bust behind a bunch of goober looking Klansmen.

Just because the Klan shows up to support something doesn't 100% condemn it, we have certain flavors of racism today, literally the inverse of what the Klan preaches, being widely accepted by modern society.

Forrest would have brutally whipped anybody in that particular lot.

I don't doubt that as I understand that after blacks were killed by a mob Forrest wrote to Tennessee Governor Brown, offering “to exterminate the white marauders who disgrace their race by this cowardly murder of Negroes.”

I have been unable to find a link to the actual letter but I did find this newspaper article where Forrest's name appears as a signatory with others in column 5 on that page (his name is on the left, sixth on the list). That public letter condemns the act as the wilful and deliberate murder of sixteen unarmed and helpless citizens" and "in violation of every principle of justice and humanity".

In the “cancel culture” of today, evidence or history or truth mean absolutely nothing. All that matters is who screams the loudest about how everyone who doesn’t agree with them is evil and must be eliminated.
And they scream like spoiled children who never learned how to cope with different opinions than their own!

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I've been firm on my stance for all monuments to remain.... but... I also thought Lincoln and Grant were untouchable. After I was proven completely wrong... it opened up my eyes to the magnitude of this movement. With that being said, times are changing and I would much rather see a bust of Forrest removed than that of Lincoln. Forrest the general demands respect... but his actions after the war have caused much controversy.

I've been firm on my stance for all monuments to remain.... but... I also thought Lincoln and Grant were untouchable. After I was proven completely wrong... it opened up my eyes to the magnitude of this movement. With that being said, times are changing and I would much rather see a bust of Forrest removed than that of Lincoln. Forrest the general demands respect... but his actions after the war have caused much controversy.
Not sure why, if we are going to say Forrest is somehow objectionable...

Why wouldn't Lincoln be also?
After all he presided over a government and military responsible for Dakota War, Snake War, Bear River massacre of Shoshone 1863, Sand Creek Massacre of Cheyenne in 1864, 1863-64 campaign against the Navajo, and the resulting long walk of the Navajo, similiar to the trail of tears. Had the largest mass execution in US history against natives, nulified treaties and reservations of both the Sioux and Winnabago for another land grab in Minnesota...

I presume racism or mistreatment of minorities being objectionable would apply to all minorities....if it's going to preclude honoring them for anything else.

Edit-For the record, I think we should be able to distinguish between deeds and accomplishments to honor one without it embracing the other...and take into account things like the context of society at the time....but then if so, that should also apply equally to all historical figures.

Last edited:

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Not sure why, if we are going to say Forrest is somehow objectionable...

Why wouldn't Lincoln be also?
After all he presided over a government and military responsible for Dakota War, Snake War, Bear River massacre of Shoshone 1863, Sand Creek Massacre of Cheyenne in 1864, 1863-64 campaign against the Navajo, and the resulting long walk of the Navajo, similiar to the trail of tears. Had the largest mass execution in US history against natives, nulified treaties and reservations of both the Sioux and Winnabago for another land grab in Minnesota...

I presume racism or mistreatment of minorities being objectionable would apply to all minorities....if it's going to preclude honoring them for anything else.

Edit-For the record, I think we should be able to distinguish between deeds and accomplishments to honor one without it embracing the other...and take into account things like the context of society at the time....but then if so, that should also apply equally to all historical figures.
True, but that would be in a perfect world. Although no man is perfect, Forrest is haunted by the Fort Pillow "massacre" and being a prominent figure in the foundation of the Ku Klux Klan. That's a large part of his legacy in the eyes of the average citizen. Although we respect him for his bravery in battle and leadership as a commander, that is overshadowed by the aforementioned.

Like I've stated previously, this movement is powerful, and certain monuments will be removed in the near future. It's just a matter of where to exert the energy in saving them. For example... I think it makes more sense in putting effort into the Lee monument, rather than a bust of Forrest. Because of his past... he's much more difficult to defend in the eyes of the public.

True, but that would be in a perfect world. Although no man is perfect, Forrest is haunted by the Fort Pillow "massacre" and being a prominent figure in the foundation of the Ku Klux Klan. That's a large part of his legacy in the eyes of the average citizen. Although we respect him for his bravery in battle and leadership as a commander, that is overshadowed by the aforementioned.

Like I've stated previously, this movement is powerful, and certain monuments will be removed in the near future. It's just a matter of where to exert the energy in saving them. For example... I think it makes more sense in putting effort into the Lee monument, rather than a bust of Forrest. Because of his past... he's much more difficult to defend in the eyes of the public.
To some Lincoln is haunted by his racist views, and condoning massacres and mistreatment against Native Americans, that seems to be what those complaining about him say also.

Last edited:
"Haunted?" "Condoning massacres and mistreatment against Native Americans?"
Yes if you read about any of the recent issues raised about Lincoln, the treatment of natives and his racism is what is mentioned in the articles.......the incidents previously listed did all happen under his administration.

If one wishes to use the term Forrest"s legacy is haunted by some of his actions, they are indeed claiming the same about Lincoln and others.......I dont choose the hyperbole being thrown around, I just respond to it. Personally doubt either Forrest or Lincoln, or anyone today is "haunted" by much. Though would say the massacres were condoned.

I have yet to have my GGGF haunt me, or his actions.

Last edited:

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Yes if you read about any of the recent issues raised about Lincoln, the treatment of natives and his racism is what is mentioned in the articles.......the incidents previously listed did all happen under his administration.

If one wishes to use the term Forrest"s legacy is haunted by some of his actions, they are indeed claiming the same about Lincoln and others.......I dont choose the hyperbole being thrown around, I just respond to it. Personally doubt either Forrest or Lincoln, or anyone today is "haunted" by much. Though would say the massacres were condoned.

I have yet to have my GGGF haunt me, or his actions.
How would you classify the legacy of Forrest? I enjoy reading about him and what he accomplished just as much as anyone... but his past has tarnished him. The average citizen could care less that he enlisted as a private and rose to the rank of Lt. General. But to dovetail off your statement about Lincoln... I also say if you look deep enough you'll find skeletons in everyone's closet.

How would you classify the legacy of Forrest? I enjoy reading about him and what he accomplished just as much as anyone... but his past has tarnished him. The average citizen could care less that he enlisted as a private and rose to the rank of Lt. General. But to dovetail off your statement about Lincoln... I also say if you look deep enough you'll find skeletons in everyone's closet.
What I have always found odd....If your talking about Lincoln and his racist views, there's always these people who seem quick to chime in while he might be racist by today's standards, his views were evolving......(I assume to black's, as little to base an evolution towards Native Americans on)

If this evolution of views is somehow admirable or noteworthy.....didn't Forrest have a even bigger evolution then Lincoln? Yet oddly enough those same people seldom seem to point out Forrest's evolution.

Quaama

Sergeant

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
It seems like the Senator wanting to remove those from the commission for their vote to remove the Forrest bust because he doesn't like their vote, seems a repeat of the South's reaction to the election of 1860. They didn't like the outcome and decided to leave, something maybe the offended Senator should consider.
Seems a rather poor analogy to compare a national election of the people to a committee appointed by one man. Surely having a committee that is appointed by more then a single person shouldn't be problematic

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
"The Fort Pillow Massacre in Tennessee on April 12, 1864, in which some 300 African-American soldiers were killed"
-History.com

Between April 1867 and February 1868, the US government exhumed 243 bodies from Fort Pillow and reburied them in the National Cemetery at Memphis.

Identified from units that were at Fort Pillow on April 12, 1864 - 3
" from units at the fort prior to 1864 - 48
Unknown - 192

Source: Gregory J. Macaluso, The Fort Pillow Massacre: The reason why, p.33

Other sources identify 109 of the 192 as African-American.
https://www.findagrave.com/virtual-cemetery/793359