Forrest Featured Forrest Boyhood Home Event Larry Details Please

Ben this one was pretty normal and therefore quite pleasant. The weather was in the low 90s with just a hint of a breeze. Our cavalry was in fine form with about 20 or so mounted officers along with Stan Dalton who looks a bunch like Gen. N.B. Forrest. Hewalt's Battery was there with their mules and lots of noise. Lots of folks in period dress, some good looking gals and a few others. We dropped the entry amount to $5, doesn't seem to make much difference. A large silent auction was well used and food sales were good. Vendors seemed happy, but not a busy as I would have liked. Speakers and music first rate as usual. David Andrews II Facebook site has a big pile of photographs. I'll post a couple after I've been to Walgreens. Parking lots were full, also a good sign. Folks were happy, another plus.

7th TN Cav at Forrest Home.jpg Posting photo. The is a re-enactment group from Middle Tennessee ready to unsaddle and get some chow.

One more, the blacksmiths.

Attachments

• William Forrest anvil at Forrest Home.jpg
    William Forrest anvil at Forrest Home.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 340
I am sooooooooooooooooooo jealous. I thought of you guys all day on Juneteenth. Glad it went well, and hope you raised enough to meet your goals for the year.

This is a continual fund raising effort with much labor contributed by SCV members, craftsmen whose efforts we could never afford to purchase on the market. This event will likely only clear around $5,000 but that is an annual seed. Contributions come in from varioius sources throughout the year. The buildings are essentially complete at least on the exteriors. A men's and women's restroom with showers is a log structure that blends into the compound visually. We also have a log equipment shed (2 stories), the barn is about 80 percent restored. The original 1800 barn has been raised with footings installed and a tractor storage area enclosed where an original shed was removed, new roofs on everything (cedar shakes). The house exterior is in very good shape with work begining on the enterior rooms. We will soon be able to rent the two story log portion ca 1800 for weddings. A museum space is being developed in the former 'dog trot' between the original structures. The newer part is believed to have been relocated by William Forrest in the 1830s from Chapel Hill. Interior needs work. Exterior fencing and screen plantings are about 80 percent complete. Some recent homes need to be screened. The remaining property of about 57 acres is still wooded. Front entrance is about 80 percent with stone veneer on entrance walls still not complete. The place has come far in the last 15 years. It will go on. Sons of Confederate Veterans, PO Box 59, Columbia, TN 38402-0059 (501c3 very deductible.) Be sure to note check for Forrest Home. They'll do the rest.

This is a continual fund raising effort with much labor contributed by SCV members, craftsmen whose efforts we could never afford to purchase on the market. This event will likely only clear around $5,000 but that is an annual seed. Contributions come in from varioius sources throughout the year. The buildings are essentially complete at least on the exteriors. A men's and women's restroom with showers is a log structure that blends into the compound visually. We also have a log equipment shed (2 stories), the barn is about 80 percent restored. The original 1800 barn has been raised with footings installed and a tractor storage area enclosed where an original shed was removed, new roofs on everything (cedar shakes). The house exterior is in very good shape with work begining on the enterior rooms. We will soon be able to rent the two story log portion ca 1800 for weddings. A museum space is being developed in the former 'dog trot' between the original structures. The newer part is believed to have been relocated by William Forrest in the 1830s from Chapel Hill. Interior needs work. Exterior fencing and screen plantings are about 80 percent complete. Some recent homes need to be screened. The remaining property of about 57 acres is still wooded. Front entrance is about 80 percent with stone veneer on entrance walls still not complete. The place has come far in the last 15 years. It will go on. Sons of Confederate Veterans, PO Box 59, Columbia, TN 38402-0059 (501c3 very deductible.) Be sure to note check for Forrest Home. They'll do the rest.

Larry thank your efforts and obvious deepest involvement in keeping in Keeping The Generals Legacy alive. I as stated before wish I was there. Politics aside(his were war bad business) whatever he is an historical figure still a hero south today, Thank you....Ben

Back