MS Forgotten Rebels

Ole Miss

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
I went with my wife this afternoon to 2 small community cemeteries this afternoon and discovered a few Confederate stone markers that I wanted to share. Once again I was unable to look for their service records on Fold 3.
As long as they are remembered, their service is honored.
Regards
David
In Paris Cemetery

1603403910578.png

1603404251087.png

1603404395577.png

I went with my wife this afternoon to 2 small community cemeteries this afternoon and discovered a few Confederate stone markers that I wanted to share. Once again I was unable to look for their service records on Fold 3.
Regards
David
In Paris Cemetery
Joel D. Dickey, Co. D, 31st Mississippi Vols. 10 pages of fold3 records. Enlisted March 7, 1862 for 3 years. Appointed Teamster at Corinth on May 27, 1862. Promoted to 3rd Corporal on December 31, 1862. Company Muster Rolls end with December 1863. The last 2 have him "Absent without leave". One of them says "Deserted while on march from Jackson to Morton July 18, 1863".

Regards
David
In Paris Cemetery
J.W. Ragland, Co. H, 7th Mississippi Cavalry. 3 pages of fold3 records, a Reference Card and 2 Company Muster Rolls. Enlisted on January 1, 1864 for 3 years. Present on first Muster Roll. Second Muster Roll from July 1-October 31, 1864 says he was "Absent on furlough".

These gentlemen are the last 2 Confederates buried at Paris cemetery, that I found today.
Regards
David

1603405886133.png

1603406018831.png

This gentleman did not serve in the Civil War but was an War of 1812 veteran. I suspect he lived in Lafayette county during the ACW.

1603406297358.png

Joel D. Dickey, Co. D, 31st Mississippi Vols. 10 pages of fold3 records. Enlisted March 7, 1862 for 3 years. Appointed Teamster at Corinth on May 27, 1862. Promoted to 3rd Corporal on December 31, 1862. Company Muster Rolls end with December 1863. The last 2 have him "Absent without leave". One of them says "Deserted while on march from Jackson to Morton July 18, 1863".
...perhaps they found out he had good reason for being absent and removed him from the 'deserted' category.

These 2 "Johnnies" are buried in the Tula Cemetery near Oxford.
Regards
David

This stone is hard to read so I will share the information
R. B. Wood
Company E
19th Miss Regt

1603414424267.png

One of the few officer's grave I have found in country cemeteries

1603414694179.png

Sgt. Stephen S. Neal, Co. K, 17th Mississippi Infantry. 26 pages of fold3 records. Enlisted at age 28 on March 12, 1862 for 3 years. Present on almost all Company Muster Rolls in 1862 and 1863. Briefly hospitalized in April 1862 and July 1863 in Chimborazo for rheumatism. Appointed 3rd Sergeant on November 10, 1864 at New Market. Captured at Burkeville, VA on April 6,1865 and sent to Point Lookout, MD. Took the Oath of Allegiance and was released on June 29,1865.

Here are additional Confederate soldiers buied at Paris, Mississippi.
Pvt. Franklin Harvey, Co. I, 9th S.C. Infantry. 6 pages of fold3 records. Enlisted at age 20 on June 28, 1861 until April 8, 1862. A 9 month enlistment I guess. Present on Company Muster Rolls until the last one for Nov.-Dec. 1861 which has him "At Hospital Marington".

Regards
David
Pvt. Henry C. Hunt, Co. D, 27th Mississippi Infantry. 4 pages of fold3 records. Enlisted on March 9, 1863 for 3 years or the war. Present on 2 1863 Company Muster Rolls. The last one for Jan.-Feb. 1864 says "Absent. Sent to the rear by order of Regt. Surgeon 26 Feb., 1864"

Regards
David
Pvt. Henry Howe Tate, Co. A, 1st Battalion Mississippi Sharpshooters. 2 pages of fold3 records under "H.H. Tate". One reference/index card and one Company Muster Roll. Enlisted on November 1, 1863 for 3 years. "Died in Hospital at Canton Miss. Dec 20, 1863". Must've contracted a disease in training camp.

@Ole Miss there is a Ragland, Alabama I've been through. The town, a few years ago, was almost dead and deserted, but it was such an odd name that I've always remembered it. I wonder if there was any connection at all between this Mississippi soldier and that town?

These gentlemen are the last 2 Confederates buried at Paris cemetery, that I found today.
Regards
David

1603405886133-png.png
Pvt. Samuel A. Eastep, Co. D, 4th Mississippi Infantry. The records are wrong somewhere. No fold3 records under that name. There is a "D.A. Eastep" in Co. D, 4th Miss. Inf. There is one Reference Card in fold3 that says "Cards filed with Eastep, R.D.". Those names are also in the NPS database for the 4th Miss. Infantry. There are 11 fold3 records for Pvt. R.D. Eastep but some of the Company Muster Rolls have his name as D.A. Eastep. Whatever his name is, he enlisted on September 2, 1862 but the records don't say for how long. Present on all Company Muster Rolls through Jan.-Feb. 1864,when the records end. Captured and paroled at Vicksburg on July 4, 1863. His written Parole is in the fold3 records. It is dated July 8, 1863 and signed "R. D. Eastep". I checked Ancestry and it had what I was looking for...a Headstone Application. It was submitted on May 19, 1930 by "J.W. Brasher" with the veteran's name as "Samuel A. Eastep", a Pvt. in Company D, 4th Miss. Inf. It also said he died on October 21, 1929. Typewritten in the very upper left corner is "Notify Congressman when stone is shipped." I don't know what his name really is but I believe he is the soldier in those fold3 records.

There are many Brashers buried in the Paris Cemetery so that makes sense. I would suspect there is a family connection between Private Eastep and the Brashers
Regards
David

Pvt. W.F. Hodge, Co. A, 19th Battalion South Carolina Cavalry. 8 pages of fold3 records, 1 index card and 7 Company Muster Rolls. Enlisted on July 11, 1862 for the War. A Musician. Present on all Company Muster Rolls, the last one being for Nov.-Dec. 1864. "Sick in camp" on one of the Muster Rolls.

These 2 "Johnnies" are buried in the Tula Cemetery near Oxford.
Regards
David

This stone is hard to read so I will share the information
R. B. Wood
Company E
19th Miss Regt

View attachment 379249

One of the few officer's grave I have found in country cemeteries

View attachment 379250
That's an interesting stone as it has added features - i.e. the Masonic symbol and the "Remember ..." text at the bottom. I've sometimes seen dates added but never fraternal symbols and maybe only once any sort of sentimental text.

Back