Illustrator and Cartoonist for Magazines in Galveston, Texas​
Deputy Sheriff in Galveston, Texas​

Died: March 18, 1900

Place of Death: Galveston, Texas

Age at time of Death: 65 or 66 years old

Burial Place:
Lakeview Cemetery, Galveston, Texas

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to being a cartoonist and painter he was also somewhat of an actor.I can't say that I'm familiar with his artwork but from what I've read he painted a number of pictures that depict scenes from the Civil War that he personally participated in.
What battles did he participate in? He had 3 years serving the confederacy, and 35 years to bring them to the canvass. I would love to find some of them.
Lubliner.

What battles did he participate in? He had 3 years serving the confederacy, and 35 years to bring them to the canvass. I would love to find some of them.
Lubliner.
Not sure of the battles but it is stated that he "served with distinction in Pickett's brigade".He was at Gettysburg with the Hampden Artillery. "Caskie's Battery" is mentioned on a marker on West Confederate Avenue-Pt. 4 tour map. He was also in Moseley's Artillery Battalion which participated in several battles, I would think. His headstone states that he was in the 38th battalion , Virginia light Artillety.

At Gettysburg, Caskie's battery served in Major Dearing's battalion. It fought only on July 3, expending all of its ammunition in support of the afternoon charge. It comprised one 10-pounder Parrott, two Napoleons and one 3-inch Rifle cannon, and brought an estimated 106 officers and enlisted men to the field, reportedly losing only three men wounded besides seven horses killed or disabled. In my 30 years of collecting primary source materials on the battle, I have never uncovered a document from, or on, any member of this battery.

Lubliner.

The Hampden Light Artillery Battery was organized in May 1861 and served with Jackson's Division from the Valley Campaign through Gettysburg. It was transferred to North Carolina in the autumn of 1863 and served there before returning to Virginia for the Bermuda Hundred Campaign and rejoined the Army of Northern Virginia for the Battle of Cold Harbor (with Hoke's Division).

Ryan

Back