1865 – 1889: Farmer in Jonesborough, Tennessee​

Died: October 30, 1889

Place of Death: Jonesborough Washington County Tennessee

Age at time of Death: 82 years old

Burial Place:
Jonesborough City Cemetery Jonesborough, TN

General Jackson 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, maybe his family home in Jonesboro? His historical marker is on Oak Grove Avenue.

I thought "Mudwall" Jackson was one of those at Chattanooga. Maybe John K. Jackson.

{edited} Oh. He is listed in that article you posted.

He's also known as "Mudwall" in some circles. That makes three!

Sorry I'm still not "in". Neither of the links that you forwarded are letting me into their sight for some reason. But that could very well be on my side of it. But I'm still taking your word on it. Especially now that you explained how the term Mudwall was being used as a derogutory term.

Last edited:
It was difficult enough to believe there were two Mudwalls, now three.?

Nickname controversy[edit]

William L. Jackson is one of three Confederate generals associated with the nickname "Mudwall", a reference to the "Stonewall" nickname given to his cousin Thomas.[11] While William Jackson has been known as such for a long time, it was found by noted historian Garry W. Gallagher that the nickname was originally given to fellow Confederate General Alfred E. Jackson from Tennessee (no family relation). It seems the two were mixed up in the Southern Historical Society Papers in 1906 and the error was involuntarily repeated afterwards. Sometimes the name is even attributed to another (likewise not related) Confederate Brigadier, John K. Jackson. It is also possible that at times the name was attributed to several of the Jacksons simultaneously.[12][13]

Notes[edit]

1. ^ Robertson, 1997, pp. 1–2
  2. ^ Robertson, 1997, pp. 2–3.
  3. ^ Wickline, John. "The Other Gen. Jackson: William Lowther 'Mudwall' Jackson". Connect-Clarksburg. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
  4. ^ Jump up to:a b c Wittenberg, Eric J. "Brig. Gen. William L. "Mudwall" Jackson". Rantings of a Civil War Historian. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
  5. ^ Cynthia Miller Leonard, Virginia's General Assembly 1619-1978 (Virginia State Library, 1978) pp. 446, 450
  6. ^ Leonard pp. 467, 472
  7. ^ Evans, 2004, p. 131
  8. ^ Webb, Kerry. "Jackson, William Lowther "Mudwall"". Confederate Generals - J. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
  9. ^ Jump up to:a b Eicher, 2001, p. 317
  10. ^ William Lowther Jackson at Find a Grave
  11. ^ Will the Real "Mudwall" Please Stand Up? (pdf)
  12. ^ "You Know of " Old Stonewall " Meet " Old Mudwall " Jackson". CivilWarTalk. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
  13. ^ Walden, 1990

9/3/63 Charleston, Tenn, Buckner to Sec Seddon-Your dispatch just received. Under orders from Gen Bragg, have concentrated here-
Cumberland Gap is held by Frazer's Bgde of four Regts, provisioned for nearly two months;
Jackson's small Bgde of bridge guards, & Giltner's Cav at Bristol & Abingdon, reporting to Gen Williams, for covering the salt-works

9/12/63 Abingdon, S Jones to Sec Seddon-I cannot too strongly express my conviction of the importance of having additional troops in this section of country.
So far as I can ascertain Maj-Gen Buckner left but two Bgdes in East Tenn, & it is represented to me that they are made up of the most inferior troops & cannot be relied on.
One of these Bgdes (Frazer's) was left at Cumberland Gap. The day I arrived here (the 6th) it was reported as surrounded by a force of six or eight Regts of the enemy, * & yesterday I received information through Col Carter, cdg near Jonesville (Lee CH), that the garrison capitulated on the evening of the 9th. The same information reached me from a different source today, & I believe the report to be true.
The other Bgde left by Gen Buckner (Gen A. E. Jackson's) had fallen back before I arrived here to Bristol. Gen Jackson reports his Bgde 1,300 strong, but I am informed that it is utterly unreliable.

9/14/63 Jonesborough, S Jones to Gen Cooper-This part of East Tenn was left even more defenseless than I had supposed. Brig Gen Jackson has less than 800; & they are represented as utterly unreliable.

5/2/64 Bragg report-Respectfully returned to Sec of War. There is great difficulty in sparing any regular force from our main points of operation. Several hundred men, now in the Dept of East Tenn, belonging to what is known as Thomas Legion, & now called a Bgde, under Brig-Gen Jackson, might well be spared & sent to the Col [Thomas] in Western NC. From the condition of the command, as reported by a recent inspecting officer, Gen Jackson should be relieved from it & sent to some point where he can be in contact with good & disciplined officers & troops.

Back