Forgotten Forts Series Index

If there are any forts anyone would like me to do a write up on or you know about but you're not sure about its ACW connections or history and dont really want to do the research be sure to let me know and maybe I can find out. Fridays are always a dull day for me at work while I count down the minutes until the weekend :smile:

If there are any forts anyone would like me to do a write up on or you know about but you're not sure about its ACW connections or history and dont really want to do the research be sure to let me know and maybe I can find out. Fridays are always a dull day for me at work while I count down the minutes until the weekend :smile:
Well, not exactly a forgotten fort, but the role that 52nd Indiana played in the capture of Fort Donelson is rather confusing. The only narrative I've found condemns the 52 nd as being "cowardly," hanging behind the 2nd Iowa and killing many of the Iowans by "friendly fire." The plaque at that sight at Fort Donelson makes no mention of that claim, but sites them as "closely following" the 2nd Iowa. I know that there were casualties by friendly fire, but could not find any official narrative that speaks of cowardice. Unfortunately, the 52nd was frequently "attached" to other units and hence, I suspect receives little mention.

Well, not exactly a forgotten fort, but the role that 52nd Indiana played in the capture of Fort Donelson is rather confusing. The only narrative I've found condemns the 52 nd as being "cowardly," hanging behind the 2nd Iowa and killing many of the Iowans by "friendly fire." The plaque at that sight at Fort Donelson makes no mention of that claim, but sites them as "closely following" the 2nd Iowa. I know that there were casualties by friendly fire, but could not find any official narrative that speaks of cowardice. Unfortunately, the 52nd was frequently "attached" to other units and hence, I suspect receives little mention.

I try to read into all of the Indiana regiments when I see one mentioned since I am after all a Hoosier. I've read accounts of the 52nd and their part in the capture of Fort Donelson and from what I recall they were to support the 2nd Iowa and cover one of their flanks however in the confusion and being unfamiliar with the terrain the simply fell into line directly behind the 2nd.

I try to read into all of the Indiana regiments when I see one mentioned since I am after all a Hoosier. I've read accounts of the 52nd and their part in the capture of Fort Donelson and from what I recall they were to support the 2nd Iowa and cover one of their flanks however in the confusion and being unfamiliar with the terrain the simply fell into line directly behind the 2nd.
I could easily see how that could happen with all that smoke and picking their way through all the downed trees.

New Post

http://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/forgotten-forts-series-fort-johnson-sc.102188/

Fort Johnson, located on James Island in Charleston Harbor was a Confederate earthwork fortification designed for the defense of Charleston. A mortar from the fort signaled the beginning of the bombardment of Fort Sumter in 1861 and it was also the site of a battle in July 1864 in which its defenders fought off a Union barge attack.

Back