Forgotten Forts Series Index

As I announced earlier today, classes have kept me busy this last month or so but the "Forgotten Forts" series should continue this summer with some new posts once I finish up finals for those of you who enjoy reading up on these lost and forgotten ACW sites. For all of you that have "liked" and expressed interest in the previous posts I thank you and there will be more coming soon.

Thanks,
Nate

Just do the best you can. We all know real life takes priority and eager to see what you come up with in the near future as far as these forts.

M. E. Wolf

fort 1865.jpg
fort.jpg
Fort Massachusetts off the Mississippi Gulf Coast on Ship Island. Photos taken 1965

New Post
http://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/forgotten-forts-series-fort-washita-ok.87327/
Fort Washita is located near the city of Durant, Oklahoma. Abandoned by US troops at the outset of the American Civil War it was seized by Confederate troops and used as a HQ for operations in the Indian Territory. Troops from Fort Washita took part in the Battle of Honey Springs in 1863. It never fired a shot in anger during the war.

Excellent! Keep these forts in the memories or they shall surely be forgotten.

Fort Lincoln is a cemetery now. Few of my relatives are buried there and, amazingly enough many of the earthworks remain though not as sharp, the hill and valley aspects are certainly not natural.

Just some thoughts.

M. E. Wolf

Actually the high flat ground whereupon Fort Lincoln once stood is now a public park. It can be accessed by taking a short stairway that leads from the parking lot of Fort Lincoln Elementary School below the hill. When I stood there in 2006 it was quite evident by the commanding view of Bladensburg and the surrounding area why the fort was positioned at this spot. The cemetery is close by near the Battery Jameson.
Petersburg 064-c.jpg

Is the battlefield at Bladensburg from the War of 1812 preserved at all? I know the US Marines played just about the only honorable part in that battle.

I don't think there is anything left of the battlefield but there is a visitor center there. Also there is an historical marker on the site of the famous Bladensburg Dueling Grounds.

Bladensburg Duelling Grounds.jpg

I don't think there is anything left of the battlefield but there is a visitor center there. Also there is an historical marker on the site of the famous Bladensburg Dueling Grounds.

Upon further research you're correct, theres just about nothing left since its all under the town now. I found that there is one sign that marks the spot where Commodore Barney and the Marines made there stand as well as a monument for the Marines that died there nearby.

bladensburg 1.jpg

I have brought this up to Mike/CivilWarTalk before. I will do so again, as it is unique as well as all the hard work you have done to compile pictures and information on them.

I am going to 'report it' as to hopefully again request that this series be given its own forum and though he may not have you moderate it, you certainly should be host for it. If something needs to be moved, deleted, etc., that requires Moderator's powers, we all would be able to do it at your wish/command, sir.

M. E. Wolf

I have brought this up to Mike/CivilWarTalk before. I will do so again, as it is unique as well as all the hard work you have done to compile pictures and information on them.

I am going to 'report it' as to hopefully again request that this series be given its own forum and though he may not have you moderate it, you certainly should be host for it. If something needs to be moved, deleted, etc., that requires Moderator's powers, we all would be able to do it at your wish/command, sir.

M. E. Wolf

I understand that, you got the general idea. Thanks Wolf. I just think a "Fortifications" forum would be fitting considering the war started at one and so many battles revolved around them: Pillow, Sumter, Pulaski, etc...

Back