Forgotten Forts Series - Fort Mackinac

Really surprising to see a portion of the war that far north

A lot of action to the north that is often forgotten. The abortive raid on a POW camp in Ohio along Lake Erie, the St. Albans Raid, the "Battle" of Portland in Maine. Not to mention many forts that fronted Canada during the war were armed and garrisoned after being only garrisoned by a single caretaker for many years early in the war when the country was unsure of what England's involvement would be.

My neighbor just came down from there this past weekend. He had relatives up fron Virginny. They didn't go to the fort but did go to the island. He said it costs 20 bucks for access. A bit steep for 4 retirees.

My neighbor just came down from there this past weekend. He had relatives up fron Virginny. They didn't go to the fort but did go to the island. He said it costs 20 bucks for access. A bit steep for 4 retirees.

Poor Private,

Still think it would be worth the price to see the island and the fort.

Getting itchy feet, I guess, and I could use the road trip. :wink:

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Union blue,
I have been going to the island for 40 years, since I was a kid, and actually got married at The Grand Hotel. The one thing I would recommend is to actually stay the night on the island, it is a completely different experience than doing a day trip, there is also Fort Holmes on the island, however not much is left of it, the earthen walls and entrance grate area are really all that is left. The Mackinac State Historic Parks (74% of the island is a state park) is currently in a fundraising stage to reconstruct the fort. I have some photos somewhere I can post if interested.

Eh...its not 20 to get into the fort I paid 10 I think this summer, maybe if you add on the ferry ride to get to island. Also when you buy a ticket to tour the fort you're also buying a ticket to tour other historical buildings in the village. Some of which date back to War of 1812 and before. Oh yeah and military/veteran discounts do apply

Eh...its not 20 to get into the fort I paid 10 I think this summer, maybe if you add on the ferry ride to get to island. Also when you buy a ticket to tour the fort you're also buying a ticket to tour other historical buildings in the village. Some of which date back to War of 1812 and before. Oh yeah and military/veteran discounts do apply
It's 20 bucks if your a couple,, and paying for both. and 40 if your a pair of couples.

It's 20 bucks if your a couple,, and paying for both. and 40 if your a pair of couples.

Like I said thats not bad considering youre still allowed to wander around the entire island, and that pays for other sites as well, visiting Fort Holmes doesnt cost a dime, visiting the Battle of Mackinac battlefield (which is partially a golf course) is free...Just doesnt seem like a bad deal to me. Its cheaper than a ferry ride & admission ticket to Fort Sumter. But if moneys tight or you're paying for a large group I guess I'd understand if you didnt wanna spend the money.

Like I said thats not bad considering youre still allowed to wander around the entire island, and that pays for other sites as well, visiting Fort Holmes doesnt cost a dime, visiting the Battle of Mackinac battlefield (which is partially a golf course) is free...Just doesnt seem like a bad deal to me. Its cheaper than a ferry ride & admission ticket to Fort Sumter. But if moneys tight or you're paying for a large group I guess I'd understand if you didnt wanna spend the money.
Twas 4 retirees.

NFB22,

This is one site that I am determined to visit one day.

It's a fun time, and a lot to do. We usually go up for a weekend and things we usually do.
  • Fort Mackinac
  • Fort Holmes
  • Fort Michilimackinac (On the mainland)
  • Ride bikes around the island
  • Hike
  • Visit the various stores (more for the female companion)
  • And visit the other historical sites/geographical features on the island.

A couple pictures I took at Fort Mackinac this past Summer
384597_4311687908171_1508329907_n.jpg
531559_4311687028149_1452972611_n.jpg

165827_4311687188153_1055963030_n.jpg

When I was a 12 to 15 year-old Boy Scout I went to Fort Mackinaw for two weeks to act as a guide at the fort. Lots of work but two weeks away form my mom, dad, and bother, and sisters was nice.

Back