Forgotten Forts Series - Fort Harrison (VA)

Now if you want truly forgotten forts in the area, there are several around Harrison that are truly forgotten, and are partially or fully saved, but get very little visitorship. Brady, Gilmer, etc

I think this forum would benefit from write-ups on some of these sites, if you have photos!

Roy B.

In the park I'm talking about, there's almost nothing still existing above ground, so there's not much to go bonkers over. Archaeology these days can identify remnants below ground, so that would probably be the approach at Dix Park. As far as tourist dollars, that could be an incentive for Raleigh planners, as this city tends to give priority to stuff that brings in money...

Roy B.

Have a Living History twice a year with reenactors recreating what it was like manning the entrenchments, with cannon firings, (if possible), and make a small festival out of it and y'all will have a little something else to draw in tourist dollars.

Have a Living History twice a year with reenactors recreating what it was like manning the entrenchments, with cannon firings, (if possible), and make a small festival out of it and y'all will have a little something else to draw in tourist dollars.

I was envisioning something a little more sedate, but cannon firings would certainly create some excitement around here! Actually Raleigh was never attacked, so the entrenchments around the city were never used, other than for a bit of skirmishing.

Roy B.

I was envisioning something a little more sedate, but cannon firings would certainly create some excitement around here! Actually Raleigh was never attacked, so the entrenchments around the city were never used, other than for a bit of skirmishing.

Roy B.

I wouldn't worry about creating an event around Raleigh being attacked. Just a garrison event, infantry drilling, artillery firings and such on that premise. (If its safe to fire a cannon where this is at of course.)

Y'all could even recreate the Mayor leaving for his hectic journey to surrender the city, and stage something along those lines. It'd be cheap to put on, you don't have to worry about some reenactors grumbling about going Federal, and if promoted right the city could expect decent financial return.

Back