Forgotten Forts Series - Fort Caswell

The new inlet was purposely filled in. It was much easier to maintain one channel than two.

Lt. Jacob Wells Taylor was stationed at Fort Caswell 1862-1865. He was a member of the 1st North Carolina Heavy Artillery Battalion. He was also my wife's great great grandfather.

Taylor was member of "Taylor's Battery," named after Jacob's older brother, who was captain. Jacob was captured at the Battler of Bentonville and his older brother was killed there.

Here is brief regimental history, focusing on the Duplin County citizens who served in the 1st:

http://nccivilwar.lostsoulsgenealogy.com/rosters/1ncheavyartillery.htm

Last edited:
View attachment 9200
When many of us think of the defenses of Wilmington, North Carolina or the Cape Fear River during the ACW Fort Fisher comes to mind however there was another significant fortification nearby called Fort Caswell. Fort Caswell was a pentagon shaped masonry fortification at the mouth of the Cape Fear River on Oak Island. The fort was constructed between 1826-1836 and named after Richard Caswell who was the first governor of North Carolina.

Fort Caswell was under caretaker status when North Carolina militia took the fort without a fight in 1861. During the war the guns at Caswell would serve as a safehaven to blockade runners headed for Wilmington. The fort's gunners would also occasionally duel with ships on blockade duty that were within range. When Fort Fisher fell in early 1865 Confederate forces saw Fort Caswell would be next and promptly abandoned the fort on January 17, 1865. Before leaving the position Confederate forces burnt a majority of the structures within and around the fort. One of the 5 walls of the forts was nearly destroyed by a magazine explosion after southern forces lit the magazine on fire to prevent its stores from falling into Union hands. However, mutiple guns were captured when Union troops arrived to garrison the fort which would remain in their hands for the rest of the war.
View attachment 9201
The fort would continue its service during the Spanish-American war as a coastal defense position with new batteries being constructed on the island. These batteries would continue to serve all the way through World War II when the position served as a submarine lookout post and supply depot for the U.S. Navy.
View attachment 9202
Following World War II the ground the fort sat on was sold to the North Carolina Baptist Convention who founded the North Carolina Baptist Assembly on Oak Island. Today the assembly runs the location as a retreat for various youth summer camps and also has a convention center on the site. From doing some research online I've found the site is off limits to the public however if you get in touch with the NCBA and let them know you're interested in the fort and genuinely interested in its historical value they can arrange a time for you to tour the site. The site still houses the ruins of the original fort, multiple Endicott period batteries, and buildings built by the military. If you search "Fort Caswell" on Google Earth the forts remains can easily be seen.

http://www.fortcaswell.com/home/
http://fortwiki.com/Fort_Caswell
Looking forward to the symposium there next month.

Cape-Fear-River-to-Wilmington3.jpg

I had never heard of Fort Caswell, thanks for posting. I look forward to your next installment.

while I have never been to Baldhead Island I don’t think much remains of Fort Holmes -- both Fort Campbell and Fort Holmes were earthen forts.

I have vacationed on Bald Head Island several times. About 1/3 of the island is highly developed with very expensive houses--the poor folk don't live on BHI--while the other 2/3 are a nature preserve and have not been threatened with development. Fort Holmes was next to the Old Baldy lighthouse, which is one of the few parts of that portion of the island that have not been developed. Hence, a few pieces of Fort Holmes remain extant right where the Old Baldy lighthouse is, but the rest, sadly, is gone.

Thank for this post, I have been reading about Fort Caswell in the Averasboros books the 10th Battalion once stayed there and almost got too comfortable prior to the Battle of Fort Fisher, but they did enjoy there stay there !!!

TAYLOR'S BATTERY

"...The battery was ordered to Fort Strong, near Wilmington, where it remained approximately 12 months. Afterwards it performed garrison duty at Wilmington, until it was sent to Fort Campbell, Brunswick County....The battery remained at Fort Campbell until after the fall of Fort Fisher January 15, 1865." (North Carolina Troops, Manarin)

Am I correct is assuming that Fort Campbell is the earthen fort adjoining Caswell? Where, exactly, is Fort Strong?

Am I correct is assuming that Fort Campbell is the earthen fort adjoining Caswell? Where, exactly, is Fort Strong?

There was a Fort or Battery Campbell located to the west of Fort Caswell on Oak Island. The site is still within the borders of the NBCA's property and there are no remains as more modern batteries were built over the site.

There was also a Fort Campbell located up the Cape Fear near where the Brunswick River flows into the Cape Fear. Southern forces had placed a number of obstructions in the river at this point. This is probably the Fort Campbell they are talking about.

Fort Strong, also known as Fort Davis, was further upriver towards Wilmington as well. You can see it on the map you posted (as Davis) as well as Campbell.

There was a Fort or Battery Campbell located to the west of Fort Caswell on Oak Island. The site is still within the borders of the NBCA's property and there are no remains as more modern batteries were built over the site.

There was also a Fort Campbell located up the Cape Fear near where the Brunswick River flows into the Cape Fear. Southern forces had placed a number of obstructions in the river at this point. This is probably the Fort Campbell they are talking about.

Fort Strong, also known as Fort Davis, was further upriver towards Wilmington as well. You can see it on the map you posted (as Davis) as well as Campbell.

Thanks. I'm going to need to do some more research to determine which Fort Campbell was the duty station of my family ancestor(s).

Back