Forgotten Forts Series - Fort Brady (VA)

NFB22

Sergeant Major
Fort Brady, not to be confused with the fort of the same name in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, is an earthwork fortification located just south of Richmond, Virginia along the James River. The fort was built by Union forces in September/October of 1864 in order to help keep the James River Squadron bottled up. The fort was earthern fort built to mount up to 10 guns with a central bombproof in order to protect its garrison and also serve as a magazine for the fort.
fort brady 1.jpg

The fort's garrison, Co. C of the 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery, saw significant action in January of 1865 when it dueled with various ships of the Confederate's James River Squadron during parts of the Battle of Trent's Reach. On January 23, 1865 members of the squadron including the CSS Fredricksburg, CSS Virginia II and CSS Richmond among others slipped past the defenses at Fort Brady after a short engagement trying to break through Union obstructions further south down the James in order to attack Union forces at City Point.
718px-Fort_Brady_VA_LOC_02197v.jpg

After Confederate naval forces under John Mitchell realized the attack was futile the squadron turned around and headed back towards safer waters. In the early hours of January 25 Union forces at Fort Brady under the command of Colonel Henry Pierce engaged the returning Confederate ships in what would be a lengthy exchange. Although various sources say Confederate gunners fired anywhere between 750-1500 rounds during the battle only one gun in the fort was knocked out of action with 3 troops killed. The entire operation was far more costly to the squadron in which almost every ship was damaged or sunk.
Fort%20Brady.jpg

Following the capture of Richmond and the end of the war Fort Brady was abandoned by Union forces never to be used again. The site was neglected for a number of years with various trees and other growth growing up through the fort's earthworks. However, thanks to the National Park Service the fort is now very well taken care of and is part of Richmond National Battlefield Park. Today the park is open daily to the public where visitors can tour the forts remaining earthworks and see the orginal magazine and other sites within the walls such as the orginal forts well (now filled in)

http://www.fortwiki.com/Fort_Brady_(1)
http://www.nps.gov/rich/historyculture/chaffins-farm2.htm

Also be sure to check out all other "forgotten forts" in the Forgotten Forts Series Index (Link Below)
http://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/forgotten-forts-series-index.80901/

Does anyone hear from NFB22. Been a while since he been on forum. Hope he doing okay.

I'm still alive. I've been thinking of trying to revive this topic as of late. I've got plenty of new ideas and new fortifications I've discovered in the years since I started this topic.

Just been a busy few years since moving down here between grad school, work and life in general

I'm still alive. I've been thinking of trying to revive this topic as of late. I've got plenty of new ideas and new fortifications I've discovered in the years since I started this topic.

Just been a busy few years since moving down here between grad school, work and life in general

It would be great to see more of these threads!

Roy B.

I last went to Fort Brady 2 or 3 years ago. It is well preserved and quiet, there's nothing around it except for a home here and there on the road into it.

Looking forward to your new threads. Always interested in these forts.

Glad you back and doing okay. I guess you still in Louisville. Our son lives there. We lived there too many years ago.

I've got more Kentucky forts coming up for you. I just need my hiking partner to take a few days off from work so she can come along. I like to educate when I go on visits. Just been waiting for a bit because there are some sites I'd like to visit that we've gotta wait out the COVID stuff to even get into. I'm definitely excited to get back in the game. Also planning to make a few out of state trips in the next few months to go watch some racing that I can take a few detours and check a few sites out.

Back