Uniforms Forgotten Civil War uniform artists.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
John Sanheim in the 1980s did a series of American uniform plates for the Fine Scale Modeler magazine. Their were over 30 uniform plates and these covered all periods and even covered mountain men and Native Americans. Several plates showed Confederate and Union soldiers.

fsm.png

The uniform plates came with a short discussion of the unit or branch of service and a couple of paragraphs to cover the uniforms, arms, and equipment. On a certain level they are a bit like the Company of Military Historians Military Uniforms in America but many only show one subject. I recently was at a used book store that was attempting to unload these old Fine Scale Modeler and a very fair price, perhaps I should have picked all of the magazines showing Civil War subjects.

Another forgotten artist that did some Civil War uniform plates is E. Lisle Reedstrom.
Reed.png

This book has a Union and Confederate uniform plate each with three soldiers. Although the book probably does not add to much new material about the subject of Civil War uniforms the art work is very well done. If you like costumes of the Wild West this is a book for you.

John Sanheim in the 1980s did a series of American uniform plates for the Fine Scale Modeler magazine. Their were over 30 uniform plates and these covered all periods and even covered mountain men and Native Americans. Several plates showed Confederate and Union soldiers.

View attachment 405128

The uniform plates came with a short discussion of the unit or branch of service and a couple of paragraphs to cover the uniforms, arms, and equipment. On a certain level they are a bit like the Company of Military Historians Military Uniforms in America but many only show one subject. I recently was at a used book store that was attempting to unload these old Fine Scale Modeler and a very fair price, perhaps I should have picked all of the magazines showing Civil War subjects.
One world....Pworld....PINTEREST! There are so many uniform plates of Militia and State Guard uniforms. I think there figures are illustrated on each plate. Really obscure units that I had never really heard of. Don't know how accurate they are but once showed North Carolina troops wearing the shoulder patches for branch of service on their uniforms as per some N.C. troops. I was surprised to see the Cavalry with yellow shoulder patches thingies. I had often wondered if those things were all black or not. Yellow shows up as black on many old photos and all old photos are black and white.
Anyway, if you have access to Pinterest I think you can search by subject. Military Illustrations will get you on the right track.
I'm half Hollish and I stumbled across a bunch of watercolours of different Dutch soldiers in their Napoleonic uniforms and gear. Really nicely done watercolours. Not printed illustration plates but nice works of art in themselves. Not to diss printed illustrations. That is also art I understand.
Anyway, if you are bored or something some time I recommend Pinterest for War of Secession soldier photos and printed illustration plates. Some of the plates are written in Spanish but I think you can choose another language with some sites.
Cheers and Good Luck.

One world....Pworld....PINTEREST! There are so many uniform plates of Militia and State Guard uniforms. I think there figures are illustrated on each plate. Really obscure units that I had never really heard of. Don't know how accurate they are but once showed North Carolina troops wearing the shoulder patches for branch of service on their uniforms as per some N.C. troops. I was surprised to see the Cavalry with yellow shoulder patches thingies. I had often wondered if those things were all black or not. Yellow shows up as black on many old photos and all old photos are black and white.
Anyway, if you have access to Pinterest I think you can search by subject. Military Illustrations will get you on the right track.
I'm half Hollish and I stumbled across a bunch of watercolours of different Dutch soldiers in their Napoleonic uniforms and gear. Really nicely done watercolours. Not printed illustration plates but nice works of art in themselves. Not to diss printed illustrations. That is also art I understand.
Anyway, if you are bored or something some time I recommend Pinterest for War of Secession soldier photos and printed illustration plates. Some of the plates are written in Spanish but I think you can choose another language with some sites.
Cheers and Good Luck.
One WORD I meant. Sorry.

One thing I have been doing is a miniature of various Michigan Civil War units. I wanted to do a Dutch immigrant soldier from the Holland Colony or Zeeland Colony. The good thing is that the Michigan companies of Dutch immigrants joined regiments that wore standard Federal uniforms so I could use almost any Union infantry figure for my Michigan Dutch soldier.

One thing I have been doing is a miniature of various Michigan Civil War units. I wanted to do a Dutch immigrant soldier from the Holland Colony or Zeeland Colony. The good thing is that the Michigan companies of Dutch immigrants joined regiments that wore standard Federal uniforms so I could use almost any Union infantry figure for my Michigan Dutch soldier.
I purchased a couple cockades and then proprietor made one up for men with a soft blue etching of a windmill and a little boat for the center piece. I asked her about South Afrikan military cockades for the Afrikaners side and she just directed me to a facebook group and I don't do facebook. I have alseen them on period photos bit not close up or in colour. Pinterest is amazing but not an end all.
I'm unaware of actual Dutch Netherlands in the War of Secession because of the confusion of Germans and Dutch. Sounds interesting.

Before the Civil War small amounts of people from the Netherlands formed two communities on the west coast of Michigan. These were known as the Holland Colony and the Zeeland Colony. They bought rural land and lived together in small communities. The original Dutch settlers soon had additional Dutch immigrants join them. The local church services were in Dutch and the lower grades in school were taught in Dutch. There were local newspapers printed in Dutch. After awhile mostly of them eventually spoke some English but they retained their Dutch heritage well into the 20th Century. Still today they have Dutch holidays there and such in that area of Michigan.

So back to the Civil War. These Dutch immigrants joined the Union Army in numbers beyond what their population would suggest they should have. Although they served in other companies, there were two companies where all or most of the soldiers spoke Dutch and their officers also spoke Dutch.

Before the Civil War small amounts of people from the Netherlands formed two communities on the west coast of Michigan. These were known as the Holland Colony and the Zeeland Colony. They bought rural land and lived together in small communities. The original Dutch settlers soon had additional Dutch immigrants join them. The local church services were in Dutch and the lower grades in school were taught in Dutch. There were local newspapers printed in Dutch. After awhile mostly of them eventually spoke some English but they retained their Dutch heritage well into the 20th Century. Still today they have Dutch holidays there and such in that area of Michigan.

So back to the Civil War. These Dutch immigrants joined the Union Army in numbers beyond what their population would suggest they should have. Although they served in other companies, there were two companies where all or most of the soldiers spoke Dutch and their officers also spoke Dutch.
Great information. Thanks. I'll pass along to my Hollish relatives.

Back