Sutlers- Cheers & Jeers Forage Cap Identification Question

CushCO

Cadet
A student of mine gave me a reenactor's kit which her grandfather got at a garage sale. Before I decide what to do with it, I'd like to first figure out where it may have come from. About the only identifying features are the shields and pins on the forage cap. Is there any way to tell what part of the country it may have come from given the specific pins and such? Thanks for the assistance.

kepi.jpg

The acorn is the 14th Corp badge so what we see is the 21st regiment Co. K 14th Army Corp.

Could be the 21st Wisconsin ( 1st Division , second Brigade) or the 21st Ohio (2nd Division , 3rd Brigade) . Both regiments were in the 14th Corps at Chickamauga .

Are you looking for information as to what the kepi is trying to represent? IE: What regiment the reenactor was portraying when he wore it?

Or are you looking for information on where and when the kepi was manufactured. Unfortunately, this looks more like a souvenir piece than an actual reproduction of a period piece

Thanks to everyone for their replays. They are very helpful.

The XIV Corps acorn appears to be hand cut.

I'd say that this cap is one notch up quality-wise from the forage caps that I buy for use in my classroom, which are themselves just one notch up from the ones you can buy at roadside tourist traps. Attached is the only other identifying tag that I could find. It's on the inside of the cap, beneath what appears to be a clear plastic sleeve for a name card, which I assume is normal for reenacting.

The frock coat that the cap was with is for an enlisted rank, and was white trim, that may have faded from light blue over the years. There is no tag whatsoever on the coast, and some of the cuts are pretty rough, so I'm guessing that it's home made. Is it normal for coats from the big sutlers to come with manufacturer's tags?

Thanks again!
IMG_7247.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their replays. They are very helpful.

The XIV Corps acorn appears to be hand cut.

I'd say that this cap is one notch up quality-wise from the forage caps that I buy for use in my classroom, which are themselves just one notch up from the ones you can buy at roadside tourist traps. Attached is the only other identifying tag that I could find. It's on the inside of the cap, beneath what appears to be a clear plastic sleeve for a name card, which I assume is normal for reenacting.

The frock coat that the cap was with is for an enlisted rank, and was white trim, that may have faded from light blue over the years. There is no tag whatsoever on the coast, and some of the cuts are pretty rough, so I'm guessing that it's home made. Is it normal for coats from the big sutlers to come with manufacturer's tags?

Thanks again!View attachment 311649
From the Union made label, it reminds me of a better-quality souvenir one I owned back in the 1960's and '70's. Mine had a vinyl plastic-covered visor, and it looks like yours does too. This style more resembles the M.1870 Indian Wars vintage than true Civil War styles. The white trim on the coat you mention would also have been correct for infantry in the later Indian Wars period in the 1880's and 1890's. I'll also note that the acorn corps badge has been sewn on upside down. Welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
Back