For Father's Day, The Song Remains The Same

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
fam sold1.JPG

' What a long war ' , pick one, became ' What a long war ' when the next left behind sad eyed families. Children too young to fathom what happened next only knew ' what happened ' as their father being absent. Sometimes it was for long years. Sometimes forever.

You'd have to ask sociologists, anthropologists and psychologists about the impact it had on both, children and father when war washed over this crucial relationship. We do have photographs. With changes in clothing they could be faces from today or 1940 or 1776.

Dad. Taller than trees, braver than bears, tougher than hurricanes and likes bugs, too. Come home.

fam sold3.JPG

LoC, somewhere exists an ID for Dad and daughters

fam3.jpg

It's famous photo, maybe because the eldest daughter leans so insistently on Dad's shoulder

fow little kid.jpg

I don't think this fierce little guy is a drummer boy. Could be wrong. Seems to be Dad and son, for some reason together in camp.

fam sold2.JPG

kids camp 5th us cav.JPG
Officers of the 5th US Cavalry, squirmy son inclusive. These civilized scenes in a barbaric war make it clear some were luckier thank others.
kids camp officers wife brand new big.jpg
These LoC photos are nearly all duplicated in National Archives. You just know a war photographer found it endearing fathers preferred children with them for as long as possible, when possible. Love these.

kids camp mcgiver 2.JPG

One of my favorites, from Camp MacGyver. The man with his hands and arms behind his back, leaning on the post? Boy, hands and arms behind his back, you know must be his son. That's my Dad!

patriotic kids16.jpg

Best face ever.

patriotic kids2.jpg

She was not wearing a kepi because Mom was away at war

md kids camp stoneman 3.jpg
md kids camp stoneman2.jpg

Dad and family- a baby and boy at Camp Stoneman and above, still at Stoneman, four more children watch fathers on parade.

fam of sold.jpg

We hope it's a lovely and much cherished Father's Day, from Ladies Tea

A very nice collection for Father's Day, a poignant reminder of what matters, and the sad wrenching of the War. One hopes these serene photos were made in Year One of the CW... before things turned barbaric?

A very nice collection for Father's Day, a poignant reminder of what matters, and the sad wrenching of the War. One hopes these serene photos were made in Year One of the CW... before things turned barbaric?

Yes, I heard ' things ' took a turn for the worse? Not an historian or sociologist, just have read it was different, earlier on? I'd sound like an idiot trying to get into it- which is what happens when someone pontificates on topics they know little of. :giggle: Well, except by reading.

Reactions: GS
Back