NF Foote's Chickamauga book

Non-Fiction

MikeyB

Sergeant
Hi everyone,
Foote's book Chickamauga and Other stories. Is this mostly a narrative about Chickamauga with a few other random stories thrown in? Or is it the other way around?

I'm trying to find a good book about the campaign, from prelude to the aftermath and Chattanooga. But I'm looking for something written in the Catton or Foote narrative style that reads more like a good novel than an overly scholarly or academic piece. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Mike

I can't speak for Catton or Foote (I haven't read Catton's books but read little by Foote and to me he's ok but I prefer battles extremely detailed) I highly recommend Peter Cozzens' book: This Terrible Sound Battle of Chickmauga. It's very detailed and regimental level book.

I can't speak for Catton or Foote (I haven't read Catton's books but read little by Foote and to me he's ok but I prefer battles extremely detailed) I highly recommend Peter Cozzens' book: This Terrible Sound Battle of Chickmauga. It's very detailed and regimental level book.

Thank you sir!

Hi everyone,
Foote's book Chickamauga and Other stories. Is this mostly a narrative about Chickamauga with a few other random stories thrown in? Or is it the other way around?

I'm trying to find a good book about the campaign, from prelude to the aftermath and Chattanooga. But I'm looking for something written in the Catton or Foote narrative style that reads more like a good novel than an overly scholarly or academic piece. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Mike

I honestly didn't know Shelby Foote wrote a book on Chickamauga. I've read his books on Shiloh and the one on Gettysburg ("Stars In Their Courses").

th
This book is a collection of short stories. One by Foote, and the others by a number of American writers including Mark Twain, William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, and Ambrose Bierce. They are weirdly "framed" between Davis' Inaugural address, and Lincoln's second Inaugural: the rest is all fiction.

thanks for the heads up

Hi everyone,

Regards,
Mike

Chickamauga.jpg

David Powell has written a broader text about Chickamauga, than anybody else. His is a Regimental Study. He covers the retreat into Chattanooga. All of that, is in 2 Volumes. He has written a separate Volume about the Calvary Campaign. A short volume on Lookout Mountain. And a short Volume on Missionary Ridge that includes Ringgold Gap.

I hope Phillip Thomas Tucker does NOT have a book on Chickamauga, that dude and I have a history.

Sorry..... Dr. Tucker!

I don't see one, so perhaps we are safe from that trash...

All of that, is in 2 Volumes
3 volumes, 1st starts with crossing the Tennessee Aug 22 to Sept 19th " A Mad Irregular Battle", Vol 2 covers Sept 20th-"Glory or the Grave: The Breakthrough, the Union Collapse, and the Defense of Horseshoe Ridge, and Vol 3 "The Retreat into Chattanooga, the Confederate Pursuit and the Aftermath of the Battle Sept 21 to Oct. 20, 1863. The 4th book is Failure In the Saddle-Nathan Bedford Forrest, Joseph Wheeler, and the Confederate Cavalry in the Chickamauga Campaign. Then we have Eric Wittenberg's Holding the Line on the River of Death-Union Mounted Forces at Chickamauga, Sept 18, 1863. I have all 5 and think they are the very best. Most books I've read on the battle were confusing to me. These lastest books have really helped me under stand the battle.
And I believe Eric and David are working together to give better coverage of the Tullahoma Campaign.

I strongly recommend Cozzens' books on both Chickamauga and Chattanooga if you're looking for single-volume treatment of those subjects.

I hope Phillip Thomas Tucker does NOT have a book on Chickamauga, that dude and I have a history.

Sorry..... Dr. Tucker!

I don't see one, so perhaps we are safe from that trash...
Have you ever read that multiple screen rant which is his profile at Amazon?

Back