Period Food of the Enslaved: Barbecue - This authentic meat recipe and sauces look great for coming New Year's party Too!...

The best example I can think of is grappa, made by Italian peasants from the worthless, leftover dregs of grape squeezings" (for good wine)
Yep. Excellent example. Salt pork is surprisingly pricey, too -- any number of other meat cuts are cheaper nowadays. Even cuts of meat that were cheap in the fifties have been caught up in some "new taste". Mexican friend of mine griped that the price of skirt steak and flank steak went up when fajitas were first a thing, for instance. I have all manner of "budget recipes" from the fifties and sixties that call for cuts that are now more pricey than meat considered much better quality (i.e., less tough) back in the day.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major
Member of the Month
Yes, what you said is true. And we have come full circle haven't we? We are now such a wealthy and prosperous society we have become tired of "rich folks" food and have turned or returned to peasant food for "new tastes." The best example I can think of is grappa, made by Italian peasants from the worthless, leftover dregs of grape squeezings" (for good wine) and considered as undrinkable by "decent society." Within the last 15 years or so, it has been "discovered" and is now expensive and a high status item.
I saw an episode of "Moonshiners" when they made grappa!

I saw an episode of "Moonshiners" when they made grappa!
I don't watch that tv show, but authentic grappa is only made in Italy, by the original methods. Its worlds away from away from what I have consumed here. You know, Taco Bell isn't truly Mexican. Olive Garden is nothing like what you are served in Italy, no matter how much the marketing experts make it seem. "Moonshiners" is show business and producers will do anything for ratings. Real moonshiners would never know or care what grappa is. Some Hollywood type had to tell coach them to make their "grappa". Real moonshiners, backwoods men, missing teeth and driving old beat up pickup trucks would rather die than produce something that, well, I can't think of a politically correct term that applies here.

2/241

First Sergeant
I don't watch that tv show, but authentic grappa is only made in Italy, by the original methods. Its worlds away from away from what I have consumed here. You know, Taco Bell isn't truly Mexican. Olive Garden is nothing like what you are served in Italy, no matter how much the marketing experts make it seem. "Moonshiners" is show business and producers will do anything for ratings. Real moonshiners would never know or care what grappa is. Some Hollywood type had to tell coach them to make their "grappa". Real moonshiners, backwoods men, missing teeth and driving old beat up pickup trucks would rather die than produce something that, well, I can't think of a politically correct term that applies here.
not correct
Grappa is made in th entire South (of Europe) it has different names and is simply the reuse of winemaking leftovers

there is no methode Grappa, just mash the leftovers and burn them

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major
Member of the Month
I agree...it's just that because the comment was made that it is back in vogue again so it got exposure, regardless how low quality and unauthentic!

not correct
Grappa is made in th entire South (of Europe) it has different names and is simply the reuse of winemaking leftovers

there is no methode Grappa, just mash the leftovers and burn them
The beverage Grappa is of Italian origin. Likewise the word grappa is Italian.
It may have spread to and now may "made in th entire South (of Europe)", but
the EU requires that in order to use the word "grappa" the product must be made only in Italy, Switzerland or San Marino (a tiny country totally surrounded by Italy, near the city of Rimini, on the Adriatic coast)
Hence my referring to grappa as Italian. I am aware that it is made in many places outside of Italy, including the United States, but the original, authentic grappa is Italian.
By the way, as the USA is not a part of the EU (duh), grappa makers here can legally call it "Grappa"