Food and Beverages for Derby Parties and Festivities

It is Derby week in Louisville, Kentucky. This will be the 147th year. The first one was run on May 17, 1875. The winner was a colt named Aristides. The fans are limited but at least they are having it.

Thought I would bump this older thread that has many Derby type foods and beverages.

Hope the Derby goes well this year. At this time there are 20 horses to run.

It is Derby week in Louisville, Kentucky. This will be the 147th year. The first one was run on May 17, 1875. The winner was a colt named Aristides. The fans are limited but at least they are having it.

Thought I would bump this older thread that has many Derby type foods and beverages.

Hope the Derby goes well this year. At this time there are 20 horses to run.

We always watch the race. I remember some doozies of Derby parties back in the day (my dad knew people who were - you know - "people" so we got invited to some ... doozies). And the time my uncle (whose company owned a box) gave me and my dad tickets and we sat right behind Hubert Humphrey and his secret service agents. And dad bought me a mint julep which was astounding as he obeyed all laws absolutely with no exceptions. In later life I really related to the scene in National Lampoon's Vacation where Clark gives his son Rusty a beer and Rusty chugs it. That was pretty much what I did. Wasn't my first indulgence as dad likely thought. But it was my only actual Derby.

Last edited:
Back