Following march to the sea - suggestions?

Keiri

Sergeant
For my birthday I'm beginning at Clifton, TN and following the MTTS from there to Savannah, where my guy and I will stay. I'll be turning 40. I've traced my researched group as Clifton, TN, Waynesboro, Pulaski (from here I'm skipping some Alabama for the sake of time) Chattanooga, Resaca Ga, Calhoun, Adairsville, Kingston, Cassville, Cartersville, Acworth, Big Shanty, Kenesaw (and the museum, etc), Atlanta (not going to do a ton there...), Decatur, McDonough, Jackson, Monticello, Haddock, Gordon, Toomsboro, Tenille, Sandersville, Midville, Herndon, Savannah -- on the way back probably just Pocataligo.

So... anyone have any suggestions at all? Things I should do, things I should see, things I should eat or stay at? Avoid? Ive got civil war guidebooks but i just wanted your more expert opinions! :D

Thanks in advance

I think I have planned a great expedition into proving that I am a huge nerd, as if people needed any more evidence.

I so far have driven the majority of Forrest's 1864 raid. Sans the chunk of it from Okolona/Tupelo up to Fort Pillow, I wasn't able to visit that one this month.

You should see the kind of odd looks I get as a history nerd.

When in Savanah go to the Pirates House for lunch as they have great fried green tomatoes and shrimp and grits.a lot of people go for the buffet for their fried chicken but give it a pass.Fort McAllister outside of Savanah is about 1400 acres and you will need some time to explore.the Cathedral of St.John the Baptist is one of the most beautiful churches I have seen in three south.Temple Mickve Israel has a nice museum with several letters from Robert E.Lee plus it has the 2nd. Oldest Torah in the world from the 1400's.the ships of the sea museum is a must see,my wife really didn't want to go there but now it is the first place she tells everyone to see.the First Baptist African Church was built by slaves in their spare time and it is the first AME church that is not constructed out of wood.inside you will see holes in the floor that were used for ventalation,but that is not true.the whole were there so runaway slaves could breath as this was a stop on the underground railroad.Before we leave Savanah to go home we have a must stop at "The Byrd Cookie Company" as I have to get my supply of Key Lime Coolers and they make a Scotch Oatmeal cookie to die for.the Savanah Candy Kitchen is another great sweet spot.Fort Pulaski is sort of out of the way and if you have never been there go.I've been once and do not go back and my wife and I do Savanah 5-6 times a year.the best way to get around is to go and get tickets for the Savanah trolley tour.they have 16 stops where you can get on and off all day long and they stop by everything important to see.
They can be reached at 912-339-8191 or on the Web at. trolleytours.com
One important thing do not go there for Saint Patrick Day Celebration as it is the 2nd largest in the U.S. only after New York.it is just impossible to get around.
Have a great time as Savanah is a great place to visit.

Back