Floyd, John Buchanan CSA

sgtabj

Cadet
FLOYD, John Buchanan CSA

Born June 1 1806, Montgomery Cty VA
Died August 26 1863, Abingdon VA
Pre-War Profession Lawyer, cotton planter, politician, governor, Secretary of War to President Buchanan, resigned December 1860.
War Service May 1861 Brig. Gen., West Virginia campaign, Fort Donelson (transferred command to General Pillow), March 1862 relieved of his command in Nashville for desertion, Maj. Gen. of Virginia state troops, raised a band of partisans, his health was ruined by campaigning.
Notes Accused by the North of transferring materiel to Southern arsenals prior to the War.

Floyd has got to rank towards the bottom of even political generals...ever the politician when he lost his command, he formed his own after pulling some strings...the Virginia State Line

Floyd and Pillow....the CSA would have done much better without them at Ft Donelson, perhaps changing the outcome of the war.

nbforrest, are you related to and/or have a special interest in this wizzard of the saddle? It was the 30th IL that Forrest met just west of Ft Donelson while doing scouting and engaged in battle.

I had some relatives ride with Forrest. Had some ride with Wheeler too, but heck Forrest is a lot cooler than Wheeler.

No disrespect to Bowen, Vaughan, Gregg or anybody else my folks fought under...Forrest is just too flashy to pass up. :D

I reckon my folks fought the 30th IL more than once, I had a bunch in all the Vicksburg campaign fights and with the AOT

Respectfully

ggg grandfather was in 15th (NW) Arkansas Inf, had folks in 34th AR Inf, 8th Confederate Cav, 1st TN Cav, 6th TN Cav, 3rd TN Inf, 26th TN Inf...I guess those are the major Western Theater ones

Back