Florida Whigs in 1860?

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
I'm trying out ideas for a Civil War novel of some kind. I know the basic focus would be on two branches of a Southern family - one moderate ex-Whigs, and the other hardcore Fire-eaters. I want to set the story where there was a mix of moderates and radicals, and Florida seemed to do this, as the Whigs had been dominant prior to 1850. After that, Florida became a pretty radical state. Were there still enough ex-Whigs around in Middle Florida in 1860 for this to seem logical, or should I place the moderate branch in a state like Georgia, where there were more former Whigs?

Fairfield

Sergeant Major
Member of the Month
I'm trying out ideas for a Civil War novel of some kind. I know the basic focus would be on two branches of a Southern family - one moderate ex-Whigs, and the other hardcore Fire-eaters. I want to set the story where there was a mix of moderates and radicals, and Florida seemed to do this, as the Whigs had been dominant prior to 1850. After that, Florida became a pretty radical state. Were there still enough ex-Whigs around in Middle Florida in 1860 for this to seem logical, or should I place the moderate branch in a state like Georgia, where there were more former Whigs?
Pre-comment caveat: I am not especially learned about the state of politics in the south.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd opt for Georgia because Florida (the more conservative of the two, IMO) simply wasn't ripped apart. Here is a brief--but not easily navigable--look at the Whigs of Florida: https://ufdc.ufl.edu/AA00010356/00001/82j

Actually, I'd choose Tennessee. Besides the Whig-Democrat-Republican bruha, there were strong sectional differences. Just look at the current thread on Sheldon Ledge and on earlier threads.