Florida House Inn, Fernandina Beach

luinrina

2nd Lieutenant
Silver Patron
IMG_6450.JPG

During my recent Florida trip I stayed at the Florida House Inn in Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida's oldest surviving hotel. It's in the heart of the historic district, just two blocks away from the visitor center and pier.

The inn was built in 1857 by David Yulee's Florida Railroad Company, intended to be used as a boarding house. The railroad from Fernandina to Cedar Key was finished about a month before the Civil War broke out.

After the Confederates' retreat from Amelia Island in spring 1862, the Florida House Inn was used by Union officers as quarters.

After the Civil War, Major Thomas Leddy and his wife Ann acquired the inn and operated it as a hotel. Major Leddy served in the 69th New York Infantry as part of the Irish Brigade. He was wounded at Fredericksburg during the attack on Marye's Heights.

Ulysses S. Grant stayed at the Florida House Inn and was entertained in the dining room which today is the Mermaid bar and restaurant. The time of his visit is a bit confusing though; my sources say 1866 during the Presidential campaign. But the campaign wasn't until 1868.

IMG_6451.JPG

When you come in through the front door, there's a parlor to the left, usuable by all guest as community space.

IMG_6433.JPG

The inn offers 16 guest rooms. My one was no. 4 directly next to the top of the staircase.

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6425.JPG

Look at the fan blades (also the picture of the dining room further above) - styled as leaves. Aren't they lovely?

There are lots of drawings on the walls depicting the Civil War, such as these:

IMG_6429.JPG

IMG_6431.JPG

The inn also has a beautiful brick back courtyard with an old oak tree.

IMG_6461.JPG

The bar/restaurant was closed the night I was there so I couldn't sample the food, but the breakfast which is served in the historic boarding house style (a long table where everyone meets for breakfast) was wonderful. The historic district and several old houses that were used during the Civil War as officer quarters are within walking distance.

Oh what a rainy night must sound like. I noticed the a/c they installed in the room so as not to block sunlight. It is so wonderfully rustic. Was there any information on the Union use of hotel, such as which officers may have quartered in which room?
Thanks,
Lubliner.

Was there any information on the Union use of hotel, such as which officers may have quartered in which room?
Unfortunately, no. Would have been cool to know though. Maybe with some deep digging one could find information, but I don't have the time to do that sort of research right now.

Back