Flintlock Pistol measurements

Veloraptor

Cadet
Hello all,
This is my first post and I am looking for dimensions to make a flintlock pistol. I am retired and come from England, the place that the bad chaps have guns and the goodies have had them taken away from them. I worked with a chap who was in a gun club and he had some very nice pistols, one I remember looked like a Dirty Harry gun, anyway the law changed and he had to hand them in, he was so up set about this at the time.
I make small model steam engines and boilers but needed a change so I made three small antique guns a copies, of one my father has and they came out well, so now looking to make a flintlock. I have looked on the internet for any plans but cant find any, the only book I have found is by Georg Lauder but the book is very expensive for me, £140.00. If any one on the forum can help with a flintlock measurements, lock and parts I will be very grateful, it will be made so it will not fire.

Thanks Bob

Your best bet would be to find an on-line retailer that sells locks , barrels , stocks etc. to make your own pistol . They usually give measurements of the parts . I'm sure there are many sources out there , but Dixie Gun Works may be a start . Good luck and please post images of the finished product .

Dixie Gun Works is the place to go. I would suggest that you start with a kit that runs in the $200-$400 range.

Making a custom pistol from scratch would be quite a project. However, if you are going to make your own, go for it! Don't hold back, Make the project worth the effort. Here a few suggestions...

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG
IMG_3326.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG

Last edited:
I am not a lawyer , but I was reading the UK gun laws and you may not be allowed to possess a functioning modern made muzzle loading pistol . If you can make steam engines and boilers you probably have the skills to make your own replicas . As I said , many of the parts have basic dimensions to help you . The lock will be the most complex part . Perhaps you could contact some re-enactors who use muskets and examine the locks . You could then scale them down for a pistol.

Have you tried Googling " muzzleloader pistol plans ?" I found some on the internet with basic dimensions for all the parts .

I know gunsmiths & folks who build reproduction fire arms. Nobody makes their own locks, for example. Which is traditional. I asked my buddy what he would recommend. He says that you can make this as hard as you want, but you can also make your own pencils…

The advantage of starting with a kit is that you see how things work together.

Track of the Wolf website has full scale plans available, most of the plans are for long rifles, however. I did notice they also have a set of plans for a Hawken style pistol.

Also check out the American Longrifle forum. They have a man on the forum who makes miniature flintlocks, and if my memory serves me, he maybe an Englishman; I'm sure he's European. A search of the forum would be needed to get his contributions. His work is fantastic.

I bought a replica Dueling Pistol a couple of years ago. Ironically it is supposed to match a William Parker pistol made in London. It isn't a flintlock but the wood stock was machined to accept the flintlock or the percussion plate---which really screwed up the shape of the stock.

I liked the pistol because of the butt of the grip. Most American civilian pistols have the "C" shaped grip or you will have a military grip with a large brass butt plate. Note---no hole or method to secure a ramrod. Meant to be loaded once by a Second and fired once.

There may be some drawings for this replica somewhere. I can give you photos with a scale and you may be able to get it close enough.

A better idea----Order a replacement Stock and start with that. I can provide a copy my parts catalog.

Pistol_203b.JPG

Barrel held on by a Wedge and the hook at the breech. The originals did not have the hooked breech feature.
Pistol_204a.JPG

Hello all,
Thanks for the replies and photos of the pistols, I have started to draw up a lock and will go from their. I will make the springs first and adjust the measurements from the size.

Bob

Please document your process and your progress and post photos as you go along. I am very interested in seeing what you make, and I'm sure many others are equally interested!

Back