Lt.Arty Flank Howitzer

Were these large howitzers, guns, and mortars fired with pins and cords like their small relatives or in some other way? Were they both muzzle loaders and breech loaders?

M1841 8" Siege Howitzer
Yep - by coincidence i just found Craig's entry on this a few minutes ago. Should have looked there first. Mystery solved.

Yep - by coincidence i just found Craig's entry on this a few minutes ago. Should have looked there first. Mystery solved.

We have a few on display at Petersburg NPS, that I walk past all the time, so immediately knew what they were. Also know some folks that have private ownership of several that they actually fire. What a beast !

We have a few on display at Petersburg NPS, that I walk past all the time, so immediately knew what they were. Also know some folks that have private ownership of several that they actually fire. What a beast !
Any idea what the carriage is in the Fair Oaks photo?

You might also be interested in Craig's post on M 1861 8-inchers - he says you have a couple there. It looks like the difference is in the iron manufacturing process. It appears that the M 1861's weigh slightly less. He did have an answer for my question - both apparently used the 24 lb siege gun carriage.

Back