Fishers Indiana

richard

First Sergeant
If you enjoy the roar of the engines and the crack of the musket, then come to Indianapolis and enjoy both. Next Saturday and Sunday both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Connor Prairie will be in action.

My self, I will attend the reenactment at Connor Prairie this next Saturday and Sunday May 19th and 20th, Hope to see you there!

richard said:
If you enjoy the roar of the engines and the crack of the musket, then come to Indianapolis and enjoy both. Next Saturday and Sunday both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Connor Prairie will be in action.
My self, I will attend the reenactment at Connor Prairie this next Saturday and Sunday May 19th and 20th, Hope to see you there!
How about some detail on Connor Prairie. Exactly where is it and what is the event.

Might be possible, Richard. Echo Mobile's query. FEED ME! (So long as it doesn't come within the traffic flow to Indianapolis. Crossing it is no problem.

Ole

The reenactment is an ammual event held in Fishers Indiana. Fishers is located on the north east side of Indianapolis. The location is a reconstruction of an 1836 farm and village with a museum attached. It is an interactive site with interperters dressed in period costumes. There will be battles each day.

The site is located between Interstate 69 just to the north of Interstate 465 and Allisonville road. Traffic caused by the Speedway should not be a problem after midmorning to late afternood. The best approach would be from the west would be take I 465 north from I74 to east 465 then exit at Allisonville Road. Allisonville road north to to the site.

From the north via I65 to I 865 then I456 east and again exit at Allisonville road.

From Ft Wayne, I69 to the 116th street exit west to Allisonville Road then North on Allisonville road.

From the east and south, I 465 North to Allisonville Rd and exit north.

From the southwest and west, take I 465 south or east and follow it around the south side of Indy to Allisonville Rd. That should keep you out of the traffic for the speedway except those coming down I 74.

Good Luck and I hope that some of you can make it.

If you need other directions, just pm me and I will help you out.

Here is some info from another post:

Conner Prairie, one of the nation's finest living history museums, is currently accepting re-enactor registrations for its 2007 Civil War Days, happening May 19-20.

Located in Fishers, Indiana, the event will feature:
Authentic military camps
Scripted Battle on Saturday and Sunday
Union and Confederate infantry, artillery, and cavalry drills and demonstrations
Sutlers
Fritz Klein as Abraham Lincoln
and more!

Program details and additions will be posted to www.connerprairie.org as they are confirmed. Check back frequently to view the updated schedule. Also, www.connerprairie.org has complete registration detailso and you can register online.

more info

Expired Image Removed
Step back to the 1860s for this annual event. Encounter this piece of American history brought to life by reenactors from around the Midwest. Discuss battle tactics with Union and Confederate soldiers, pay a visit to their camps and march right along with them. You may be the Army’s newest recruit!

• Experience a Civil War battle
    (Sat. 3 pm, Sun. 2 pm)
  • Meet Abraham Lincoln and ask him about the war
  • Hear the thunderous roar of the cavalry
  • Witness life on the Indiana home front
  • Get an up close look at cavalry demonstrations and artillery drills
  • Shop for authentic Civil War period items and toys for the kids
Free with general admission.

Expired Image Removed

still more Info

Expired Image Removed

Saturday, May 19
TimeProgramAll dayArtillery DrillsMourning MattersRecruiting and DrillingGunsmithingJohn Etter, author of "The Indiana Legion"Kids' Area 10 amConfederate Infantry Drill10 amFirearms Technology of the 19th century10:30 amArtillery Firing Demonstration11 amAbraham Lincoln11 amCavalry Demonstration11:30 amDocument of HopeNoonStoryteller's Drum
African American soldier & storyteller1 pmSaxton's Cornet Band1 pmShape Note Singing1:30 pmUnderstanding Emancipation2 pmAbraham Lincoln2 pmUnion Infantry Drill3 pmBattle4 pmSaxton's Cornet Band
Sunday, May 20
TimeProgramAll dayMourning MattersRecruiting and DrillingGunsmithingKids' Area 11 am - 1:15 pmArtillery Drills11:30 amUnion Infantry Drill11:30 amFirearms Technology of the 19th CenturyNoonFashions of the Civil WarNoonArtillery Firing Demonstration12:15 pmAbraham Lincoln12:30 pmCavalry Demonstration1 pmSaxton's Cornet Band1 pmConfederate Infantry Drill2 pmBattle3 pmStoryteller's Drum
African American soldier & storyteller4 pmSaxton's Cornet Band

Expired Image Removed

I generally go NB on Hwy 69 and then take the 116th Street turnoff. I stay on 116 and after a mile, get into the left hand lane for a right turn at Allison. You'll know you're at Allison because there's a Saam's Restaurant kitty corner to the gas station that you'll be turning at. There's also a Marsh's grocery store at that shopping center where the gas station is. Don't eat a Mark Pi on Allison (across the street from Marsh). It sucks big time. Continue on Allison until you see Conner Prairie off on the left.

Wish I could go, but I don't have the vacation time. BTW, if you have time, go downtown and visit the Civil War Museum. It's close to the Indiana War Memorial which is also free. Both are worth visiting.

Much appreciate the information, Richard. Not for me this year, but I will hope that you get a few more because of your posts. Maybe next year I can fit it in.

Ole

Back