• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Condiments Fish Vinegar

fish vinegar
(from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1860)
1634663414532.png

Ingredients:

1-1/2 oz. Cayenne pepper​
2 tbsp. walnut catsup​
2 tbsp. sauce (fish sauce?)​
vinegar​
garlic​
shalots​

Instructions:

One ounce and a half of Cayenne pepper, two tablespoonfuls of walnut catsup, and two tablespoonfuls of sauce. Put into quart bottle of vinegar, with a few shreds of garlic and shalots. Shake it well every day for a fortnight. Then fill up the bottle with vinegar, and it will be fit for use in a few days.​

Here is vinegar recipe from "Godey's Lady's Book". Note: will have to find recipe for walnut catsup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking in old recipes for fish vinegar and I found this:

FISH SAUCE No.9

1 pt. of walnut liquor​
1lb. of anchovies​
1 pt. of vinegar​
1/4 oz. of a mixture of cloves, mace, allspice, and long pepper​
12 shallots​

To the walnut liquor put the anchovies; boil them till quite dissolved, and strain off the liquor.​
To a qt. of liquor put the vinegar, spices and shallots.​
Boil them again till they are very tender, strain off the liquor and bottle it for use. this is an excellent sauce​

This is from "The Lady's Own Cookery Book" (1844)

I looked up walnut liquor to see what it is ND all I could find Is a modern walnut liquor that is from Modena, Italy where the best balsamic vinegar comes from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking in old recipes for fish vinegar and I found this:
FISH SAUCE No.9
1 pt. of walnut liquor
1lb. of anchovies
1 pt. of vinegar
1/4 oz. of a mixture of cloves,mace,allspice,and long pepper
12 shallots
To the walnut liquor put the anchovies;boil them till quite dissolved,and strain off the liquor.
To a qt. of liquor put the vinegar,spices and shallots.
Boil them again till they are very tender,strain off the liquor and bottle it for use.this is an excellent sauce

This is from "The Lady's Own Cookery Book" (1844)
I looked up walnut liquor to see what it is ND all I could find Isa modern walnut liquor that is from Modena,Italy where the best balsamic vinegar comes from.
Balsamic vinegar is THE best stuff!!!!

homer-simpson-drooling-mmmmmmm-balsamic-vinegar.jpg

How true!!! one time many many moons ago I paid around $100 for some in Chicago....OMG it was the best!!!!
John if you really want to try something that is awesome try eating strawberries with balsamic vinegar,it will bring a huge smile to your face.something else to try is pour some on vanilla ice cream.

John if you really want to try something that is awesome try eating strawberries with balsamic vinegar,it will bring a huge smile to your face.something else to try is pour some on vanilla ice cream.
Oh man!!!! :D I gotta try both. I just happen to have a 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream and a small bottle of the good stuff....gonna try it!!!

Back