SWMODave

Sergeant Major
Thread Medic
holloway.jpg

Colonel Edmunds Ballard Holloway
Class of 1843
Killed June 13, 1861
Rock Creek, MO
Does anyone know of a West Point graduate who was 'killed' during Civil War prior to Colonel Holloway? Class of 1843 - 16 future Civil War generals including Lt Gen Ulysses S Grant. Also seniors when the famous class of 1846 were plebes.

Cullums Register
Find A Grave
Story of his accidental death at hands of own troops

Also, in case you missed it, I am still looking to see if anyone knows of any black soldiers killed in combat prior to George Kirkland's death at Wilson's Creek on Aug 10, 1861 - thread here

One of my favorite human interest stories at Wilson's Creek is the story of Alfred Luther, whom many believe is the name of a disguised woman who fought in this battle. If the name is correct, then she was wounded in this battle. Another Civil War combat first? Yet to research this one.

These look like and could be trivia questions, but no test here - just hoping some of the CWT experts can help me prove or disprove these potential firsts.

Thank you

Last edited:
View attachment 172680
Colonel Edmunds Ballard Holloway
Class of 1843
Killed June 13, 1861
Rock Creek, MO
Does anyone know of a West Point graduate who was 'killed' during Civil War prior to Colonel Holloway? Class of 1843 - 16 future Civil War generals including Lt Gen Ulysses S Grant. Also seniors when the famous class of 1846 were plebes.

Cullums Register
Find A Grave
Story of his accidental death at hands of own troops

Also, in case you missed it, I am still looking to see if anyone knows of any black soldiers killed in combat prior to George Kirkland's death at Wilson's Creek on Aug 10, 1861 - thread here

One of my favorite human interest stories at Wilson's Creek is the story of Alfred Luther, whom many believe is the name of a disguised woman who fought in this battle. If the name is correct, then she was wounded in this battle. Another Civil War combat first? Yet to research this one.

These look like and could be trivia questions, but no test here - just hoping some of the CWT experts can help me prove or disprove these potential firsts.

Thank you
This would have made a good trivia question.

This would have made a good trivia question.

But only if I am right :D

Not sure about killed, but there was at least one earlier death in the war. Edward B. Bryan, class of 1848, served as Lieutenant Colonel in the South Carolina militia and died on April 28.

Thank you GE. I looked into former Senator Edward B Bryan prior but everything I find on him just says "he died". Typically, the word killed is used if they die in a combat operation, but not always. Interesting character. Firebrand secessionist, who famously said "give me slavery or give me death". If anyone has anything more on how Col Bryan died I would appreciate it.
Source
Edgefield Advertiser 050161 SC.jpg

Edgeville Advertiser SC - 1 May 1861
Findagrave states he died on his St Johns Island plantation and is buried their

Back