1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

First West Point Graduate to be killed in Civil War

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by SWMODave, Jan 5, 2018.

1. SWMODave

SWMODave Sergeant

holloway.jpg
    Colonel Edmunds Ballard Holloway
    Class of 1843
    Killed June 13, 1861
    Rock Creek, MO
    Does anyone know of a West Point graduate who was 'killed' during Civil War prior to Colonel Holloway? Class of 1843 - 16 future Civil War generals including Lt Gen Ulysses S Grant. Also seniors when the famous class of 1846 were plebes.

Cullums Register
    Find A Grave
    Story of his accidental death at hands of own troops

Also, in case you missed it, I am still looking to see if anyone knows of any black soldiers killed in combat prior to George Kirkland's death at Wilson's Creek on Aug 10, 1861 - thread here

One of my favorite human interest stories at Wilson's Creek is the story of Alfred Luther, whom many believe is the name of a disguised woman who fought in this battle. If the name is correct, then she was wounded in this battle. Another Civil War combat first? Yet to research this one.

These look like and could be trivia questions, but no test here - just hoping some of the CWT experts can help me prove or disprove these potential firsts.

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. GELongstreet

GELongstreet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

For the records, Holloway had just resigned from the U.S. Army and commanded the 1st Regiment, Missouri State Guard. A thread about that affair is right over here.

4. O. A. Williams

O. A. Williams Private

And he was killed by his own men in the only shots fired at Rock Creek :eek:

mofederal and SWMODave like this.
  5. Jimklag

Jimklag Major Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

This would have made a good trivia question.

6. GELongstreet

GELongstreet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Not sure about killed, but there was at least one earlier death in the war. Edward B. Bryan, class of 1848, served as Lieutenant Colonel in the South Carolina militia and died on April 28.

7. SWMODave

SWMODave Sergeant

But only if I am right :D

Thank you GE. I looked into former Senator Edward B Bryan prior but everything I find on him just says "he died". Typically, the word killed is used if they die in a combat operation, but not always. Interesting character. Firebrand secessionist, who famously said "give me slavery or give me death". If anyone has anything more on how Col Bryan died I would appreciate it.
    Source
    Edgefield Advertiser 050161 SC.jpg
    Edgeville Advertiser SC - 1 May 1861
    Findagrave states he died on his St Johns Island plantation and is buried their

8. Jimklag

Jimklag Major Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Good point.

mofederal and SWMODave like this.
  9. SWMODave

SWMODave Sergeant

For anyone thinking of using this as a trivia question in the future, the correct answer is not Colonel Holloway, but instead Major John Trout Greble, class of 1854 - killed at the Battle of Big Bethel June 10, 1861 - 3 days prior to Colonel Holoway's death.

Source

10. mofederal

mofederal 1st Lieutenant

I wondered if a West Pointer was killed at Big Bethel. Thanks for posting @SWMODave, a great thread.

11. connecticut yankee

connecticut yankee Corporal

OH, No! Already used! Can't be used again as trivia question, can it?!? :banghead:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/10-5-16-who-am-i-mr-cwt-birthday-bonus.127751/

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)