First Union and Confederate generals to die?

So how about the 1st soldier to muster into the Union and Confederate Army. I believe Charles P. Stone is reportedly the 1st for the Union - January 1, 1861 - Colonel, now who was the Confederate soldier?

So how about the 1st soldier to muster into the Union and Confederate Army. I believe Charles P. Stone is reportedly the 1st for the Union - January 1, 1861 - Colonel, now who was the Confederate soldier?

The Confederate counterpart to Stone might be hard to narrow down. The factors would be what constitutes a Confederate - an army officer from South Carolina who resigns in January 1861 to join the South Carolina militia might qualify. But then again, the militia was distinct from the Army of the Confederate States of America and the Provisional Confederate Army

My guess would be to find out who it was you would have to go through the muster rolls of each states militia, find out when they were mustered into service. The problem would be if numerous militia companies were mustered across a state at once, how do you determine the first? You'd have to get into minute by minute details which would be problematic.

Back