First trip to the Gettysburg Battlefield

Booklady

First Sergeant
DSCN3947.JPG

I feel a bit wary about posting this because I know most others here are grown-ups to my infant, in terms of Gettysburg, but I am going to take the plunge because I am pretty excited about having visited the battlefield for the first time. I hope you will all be indulgent!

My favorite spot on the battlefield is the view from near the Mississippi Monument. I felt its peace, serenity, and beauty, and having lived in Mississippi for nearly seven years, it holds a special place in my heart. I hope I can get my photos to load properly.
DSCN3952.JPG
DSCN3951.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel a bit wary about posting this because I know most others here are grown-ups to my infant, in terms of Gettysburg, but I am going to take the plunge because I am pretty excited about having visited the battlefield for the first time. I hope you will all be indulgent!

My favorite spot on the battlefield is the view from near the Mississippi Monument. I felt its peace, serenity, and beauty, and having lived in Mississippi for nearly seven years, it holds a special place in my heart. I hope I can get my photos to load properly. View attachment 145727 View attachment 145728 View attachment 145729
Great pics. Sounds like you had a great time.

Thanks for the pictures. From looking at the sky, I'm guessing you might have been there last Monday, when I was there.
Yes, the vicinity of the Mississippi monument is in the area where General William Barksdale's led his Mississippi brigade on a very successful charge on the Peach Orchard. Unfortunately, he was killed during that charge.

I was not prepared to feel so emotional when I sat down to watch the film at the Visitor Center, but I'm a sucker for dramatic music, and I was overwhemed by the experience there. I burst into tears! Had a hard time trying not to sob out loud because I didn't want to look like an idiot in front of the other people there! Does anyone else cry when they see that film? And then walk up to the Cyclorama and feel that lump in your throat again? I would like very much to find some of the quotes used at the Cyclorama, especially toward the end of the presentation.

In any case, the best part of my visit was walking across from Gen. Lee to Gen. Meade. I can't believe I was the only person out there doing that. It was a beautiful Sunday morning and the experience was right there for the taking.
DSCN3867a.jpg
DSCN3876.JPG
DSCN3891.JPG
DSCN3888.JPG
DSCN3898.JPG
DSCN3902.JPG

I am glad that you enjoyed yourself. The battlefield, bus tours, visitors center and museum are all very well run. I will get over again myself in a few weeks. Shops in town and restaurants are fun too! You took nice photos!
Thanks! I'm excited about it! :dance:
I couldn't get near the shops or restaurants. So much traffic and no place to park, and I walked 12 miles in two days at the Park so I was not inclined to do a lot of walking in town this trip. I wanted to visit the Shriver House but couldn't. Fortunately, there was a book about it at the GNMP Visitor Center, which I bought.

Thanks for the pictures. From looking at the sky, I'm guessing you might have been there last Monday, when I was there.
Yes, the vicinity of the Mississippi monument is in the area where General William Barksdale's led his Mississippi brigade on a very successful charge on the Peach Orchard. Unfortunately, he was killed during that charge.
I was there this past Saturday and Sunday. Gen. Barksdale and I both have white hair and are impatient, so I kinda like him. I hope I don't end up like he did, though.

I was not prepared to feel so emotional when I sat down to watch the film at the Visitor Center, but I'm a sucker for dramatic music, and I was overwhemed by the experience there. I burst into tears! Had a hard time trying not to sob out loud because I didn't want to look like an idiot in front of the other people there! Does anyone else cry when they see that film? And then walk up to the Cyclorama and feel that lump in your throat again? I would like very much to find some of the quotes used at the Cyclorama, especially toward the end of the presentation.

In any case, the best part of my visit was walking across from Gen. Lee to Gen. Meade. I can't believe I was the only person out there doing that. It was a beautiful Sunday morning and the experience was right there for the taking.View attachment 145733 View attachment 145734 View attachment 145735 View attachment 145736 View attachment 145737 View attachment 145738
Don't feel awkward about that i fought them back when I first saw it too.

Back