First Rgt Rhode Island sharpshooter insignia?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
While looking over Rhode Island uniforms for another thread this gave me some pause to think.

ri 44.jpg

In The First Regiment Rhode Island Detached Militia, 1861 by Alan H. Archambault published in the Military Collector & Historian Journal of the Company of Military Historians Fall 2001 Mr. Archambault says this drawing is based on a photograph of two of the regiment's Carbineers. He believes the insignia on the arms signifies them as sharpshooters. I was wondering is anyone has heard of this insignia? The photo this is drawn from is in the collection of Herb Peck.

Note the waist belt plate and the hats being turned op on opposite sides. Second pattern Burnside breech-loading carbines carried by sharpshooters? sharpshooter need revolvers?

Early in the war it was not uncommon to see revolvers tucked in the belts of privates in the field . There are images of the 4th Michigan in camp where several of them have revolvers .

I know the uniforms from drawings and images. I would prefer to see the real image, but I suspect it no longer exists. I would like to know how the cartridge boxes were modified for Burnside cartridges.

Back