First Regiment of Colored Cavalry

Lubliner

Major
Forum Host
Special Orders No. 212 from the Headquarters Department of Va. and N. C. on August 4, 1864, was issued by the Assistant Adjutant-General, R. S. Davis. These quarters were in the field at that time.

"XIV. In relation to recruiting and the recruiting rendezvous in this department, it is hereby ordered:
Brigadier-General Wild will fix the headquarters of recruiting at Newport News, a healthy point, with plenty of good water and wood, where the recruits will be exposed to no temptation or interference. General Wild's headquarters will be at Newport News. The First Regiment of Colored Cavalry will do guard duty for the camp. No persons recruited in this department will be allowed to be sent of it, but will be assigned to some regiment here.
By command of Major-General Butler:"
[Official Records; Series 1, Volume 42, Part 2, page 50].

I could find no mention of these troops in the Index, nor for 'Alternate Designations'. I had never come upon any mention before now of 'Colored Cavalry' and this regiment was designated as the First Regiment. They were given orders to guard the camp of new recruits at Newport News, possibly near Fort Monroe. I cannot find when they were recruited, themselves, and neither do I know if they were ever given horses. Has anyone else found designated regiments for 'Colored Cavalry' and if so, how many were enlisted?
Thanks,
Lubliner.

Back