First Bull Run First Manassas 150th

Sagebrush

Corporal
Has anyone heard through the grapevine if the rising gas prices is thus far having any effect on participation in First Manassas in July? There are a few in my area who had originally committed to going early on, but are now unsure due to the rising gas prices. I do not know how indicative this is in other regions of the country, but the comments I am hearing is that if the prices don't come down, they may not be able to go, much less remain where they currently are. Do you think the event will still reach its maximum limit of 15,000?

I was at the site of the planned reenactment yesterday. It is on a farm off a two lane road across from the entrance to the parking lot at the Brawner farmhouse. It would feed into traffic light controlled rte 29 about 3/4 of a mile away. The traffic jams should be epic.

It won't hit the max for participation and is still slated to go as planned. I am about two hours away, and, despite the gas prices, will head on over. Of course, my grocery money will be cut short for that week! LOL :smile:

This thread really ought to be moved over to the Re-enactor Thread... where more of the re-enactors may want to involve themselves of this conversation.

Sagebrush, I'll check back here to see if you will allow me to move it over to the Reenactor Thread, as this section should be for historical general discussions, not current events per se.

I would hope if there are any cancels, to notify the organizers so they can open up the slots and have a new cap on numbers. Filling up rather fast from the registration sheet.

I know in the past, that some re-enactment groups who are kind-hearted, pass the hat and collect, as to give what they can to those who have a heavier gas bill burden. Those with horses and artillery often have bigger gas bills than those coming in cars.

I can't see why something can be started now as far as collecting extra funds in everybody's individual units as to help those going. And, another reason to move this to the Reenactor's Forum.

I know Wilber6150 intends to come with his son, ExtraBilly I'm sure will be there (as he portrays Col./General Wm. "Extra Billy" Smith, CSA), not sure who else and what unit they will be with.

I am registered re-enactor and have this received, to include the roster of re-enactors and units thus far:

As the 150th commemorative reenactment of the Battle of First Manassas/Bull Run draws closer we want to be sure that you, as a participating Reenactor, are among the first to receive news and updates on the commemoration.

Enlist TODAY to receive regular news and updates to your inbox by visiting [[deleted due to the inability to confirm only registered-reenactors can see it only]] and providing your email address (don’t forget to check off Being a Reenactor when you provide your information!)

We also encourage you to forward this message to those within your company so that they too may sign up to receive updates and special information as the event approaches.

While visiting our website you can also view the most recent list of registered Reenactors and check-in specifics. You can even incorporate a link from your company website so that others may learn how they too can experience this event.

We’ll be sure to email additional news and updates surrounding this event and other commemorative opportunities in the coming months and look forward to welcoming you in July.

Expired Image Removed

Expired Image Removed Guaranteed Unsubscribe Expired Image Removed This email was sent from Prince William & Manassas Convention and Visitors Bureau,[email protected].
You are receiving this email through the logiforms.com service.

Anyway---I like to see this thread in Reenactor's Thread and will wait for Sagebrush to give the "OK" to move it there.

M. E. Wolf

So far-- May 5, 2011 - 150th Battle of Manassas/Bull Run reenactment info.

This is what is scheduled presently (which is subjected to changes). In addition, judging from the reenactor's listed--The CSA has more registered units then Union. Hopefully more will join but, no telling if some CSA units will have to wear Union attire to even up the ratios.

Reenactor Schedule – Battle of 1st Manassas/Bull Run
July 23 and 24, 2011 at Pageland Farm, Virginia
Please note: this schedule is subject to change without notice.
Be sure to register via RSS to receive updates automatically.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011
7:00 am Registration Check-in/Site Open – Reenactors
5:00 pm Battalion Commanders’ Meeting at Activity Tent
10:00 pm Registration Closes
Midnight All vehicles out of camps.

Thursday, July 21, 2011
6:00 am Reveille
7:00 am Registration Check-in/Site Open
1:00 pm Battalion Drill
8:00 pm Battalion Commanders’ Meeting at Activity Tent
Midnight All vehicles out of camps.

Friday, July 22, 2011
6:00 am Registration Open
10:00 am City of Manassas Military Parade
4:00 pm Battalion Commanders’ Meeting at Activity Tent
9:00 pm Battalion/Regimental Commanders’ Meeting at Activity Tent
Midnight All vehicles out of camps. No entry, no re-entry until after Sunday’s Battle
Note: Due to morning Battle schedules – spectator traffic is expected to begin early Saturday am

Saturday July 23, 2011
6:00 am Spectator Parking Opens
6:30 am Reenactment Site Opens to the Public
8:00 am Activity Tent 1 To Be Announced
Activity Tent 2 To Be Announced
8:30 am Artillery and Cav Demonstrations on Battlefield
9:00 am Infantry forms/Inspection – CSA to Battlefield
9:30 am Battle of First Manassas
12:00 pm Activity Tent 1 To Be Announced
1:00 pm Battlefield US/CS S Signal Corps Demonstration
1:00 pm Activity Tent 1 To Be Announced
2:00 pm Reenactment Site Closes to Public
8:00 pm Civil War Ball at Activity Tent A
8:00 pm Battalion Commanders’ Meeting at Activity Tent
Midnight All quiet in camps.

Sunday, July 24, 2011
6:00 am Spectator Parking Opens
6:30 am Reenactment Site Opens to the Public
8:30 am Church Services - Catholic Service in Activity Tent 1
Protestant service in Activity Tent 2
9:00 am Artillery and Cav Demonstrations
9:30 am Battle of First Manassas
12:00 pm Activity Tent 1 To Be Announced
1:00 pm Activity Tent 1 To Be Announced
2:00 pm End of Reenactment, Site Closes to the Public

------------------------
Participating Sutlers
Abraham's Lady LLC
B & B Tart
Barrancas Mercantile
Blanket Brigade
Bug Hill Sutler
Civil War Lady
Dell's Leather Works
Dixie Gun Works
Dirty Billy's Hats
Duvall Leatherwork
Fall Creek Corp
James Country Mercantile
Jeweler's Daughter
Kent, Paine & Co Historic Apparel
Maryland Sutler
North State Haberdashery
Olde South Blacksmiths
Ott's Sutlery
Parsleys Brass Civil War Buckles
Regimental Quartermaster, Inc.
Rum Creek Sutler
S & S Sutler of Gettysburg
Southern Family Impressions
T.N. Harrington, Photographic Artist
The Blacksmith
The Lanternman
Village Tinsmithing Works
Mac's Sutlery
M. Wadsworth, Tailor
Gardner's Dulcimer
2nd SC Stringband

=============================================
Hopefully those re-enactors who are deciding will see what is planned thus far and what Sutlers will be there, as to come!

M. E. Wolf

This thread really ought to be moved over to the Re-enactor Thread... where more of the re-enactors may want to involve themselves of this conversation.

Sagebrush, I'll check back here to see if you will allow me to move it over to the Reenactor Thread, as this section should be for historical general discussions, not current events per se.

I would hope if there are any cancels, to notify the organizers so they can open up the slots and have a new cap on numbers. Filling up rather fast from the registration sheet.

I know in the past, that some re-enactment groups who are kind-hearted, pass the hat and collect, as to give what they can to those who have a heavier gas bill burden. Those with horses and artillery often have bigger gas bills than those coming in cars.

I can't see why something can be started now as far as collecting extra funds in everybody's individual units as to help those going. And, another reason to move this to the Reenactor's Forum.

I know Wilber6150 intends to come with his son, ExtraBilly I'm sure will be there (as he portrays Col./General Wm. "Extra Billy" Smith, CSA), not sure who else and what unit they will be with.

I am registered re-enactor and have this received, to include the roster of re-enactors and units thus far:

As the 150th commemorative reenactment of the Battle of First Manassas/Bull Run draws closer we want to be sure that you, as a participating Reenactor, are among the first to receive news and updates on the commemoration.

Enlist TODAY to receive regular news and updates to your inbox by visiting [[deleted due to the inability to confirm only registered-reenactors can see it only]] and providing your email address (don’t forget to check off Being a Reenactor when you provide your information!)

We also encourage you to forward this message to those within your company so that they too may sign up to receive updates and special information as the event approaches.

While visiting our website you can also view the most recent list of registered Reenactors and check-in specifics. You can even incorporate a link from your company website so that others may learn how they too can experience this event.

We’ll be sure to email additional news and updates surrounding this event and other commemorative opportunities in the coming months and look forward to welcoming you in July.

Expired Image Removed

Expired Image Removed Guaranteed Unsubscribe Expired Image Removed This email was sent from Prince William & Manassas Convention and Visitors Bureau,[email protected].
You are receiving this email through the logiforms.com service.

Anyway---I like to see this thread in Reenactor's Thread and will wait for Sagebrush to give the "OK" to move it there.

M. E. Wolf

By all means! Please move it to a more suitable category!

I think it will effect Mounted Cavalry, Artillery, and Family Campers (RVs and large trailers) more than car poolers .I doubt it will hit it's 15000 mark even if gas was a dollar a gallon again. 15 grand was the cut off and with normal event drop offs of about 30% I never suspected them to have every person who registered anyways. I already know of 10 people off hand who have registered but are now reconsidering and 5 who registered and are not going, not because of fuel but just not worth the headache to do go.

I think it will effect Mounted Cavalry, Artillery, and Family Campers (RVs and large trailers) more than car poolers .I doubt it will hit it's 15000 mark even if gas was a dollar a gallon again. 15 grand was the cut off and with normal event drop offs of about 30% I never suspected them to have every person who registered anyways. I already know of 10 people off hand who have registered but are now reconsidering and 5 who registered and are not going, not because of fuel but just not worth the headache to do go.

It will be a headache, no doubt about that...

In any event, if you have 50 people who swear they'll be there, plan for 30. The ratio roughly works. 5,000 = 3,000. 500 = 300. 5 = 3.

This year will be my 1st manasses reenactment too. I also wondered about the gas prices. My group is all going together in a bus one of the reenactors in our unit own. We all have to pitch in for gas money but it still wont be cheap.

Im wondering what manasses will be like?

Will all our tents be crammed into small areas with little access to water and port a potties?

Will our tents be out in the hot JUly sun slowly roasting us to death? Is there much shade there?

Im freaking out about the lack of showers since we will be boiling to death in that summer heat. I hope we will at least have acess to fill our buckets of water for bathing.

Im a bit nervouse about it but also excited.

This year will be my 1st manasses reenactment too. I also wondered about the gas prices. My group is all going together in a bus one of the reenactors in our unit own. We all have to pitch in for gas money but it still wont be cheap.

Im wondering what manasses will be like?

Will all our tents be crammed into small areas with little access to water and port a potties?

Will our tents be out in the hot JUly sun slowly roasting us to death? Is there much shade there?

Im freaking out about the lack of showers since we will be boiling to death in that summer heat. I hope we will at least have acess to fill our buckets of water for bathing.

Im a bit nervouse about it but also excited.

I expect the facilities to be adequate, except for shade. The battles are slated for 9:30 am for a reason.
Heatstroke is a legitimate concern. The combination of weather, location and oddball equipment requirements usually combine to make 1st Manassas the least well attended of the anniversary cycle events. 150th Antietam will be bigger in Sept 2012, 150th Gettysburg in 2013 (biggest), then they taper off again in the Eastern Theater as the CS victories become scarcer. Atlanta (another hot one) in 2014 in the West and Cedar Creek in the East will be maybe half the size, or 1/3, of the earlier Eastern shindigs. Then Appomattox in 2015, a downer that nobody likes. The denouement of the cycle.

Even if you think, "Oh I am going to attend for 150th Manassas sure!" as ole points out, life (and common sense) sometimes intervene. $4 per gallon fuel is not going to keep many enthusiasts away, but it will give rise to van pools/ride shares, etc. That part is manageable. Not much you can do about the Virginia heat in mid-July. Drink a lot of water, I suppose.

I was at the site of the planned reenactment yesterday. It is on a farm off a two lane road across from the entrance to the parking lot at the Brawner farmhouse. It would feed into traffic light controlled rte 29 about 3/4 of a mile away. The traffic jams should be epic.

i heard about the pond on the site do you know if they will let reenactors fish there or not

I know our regiment is going to this with the Army Of Ohio. There are alot of us that will probably car pool to the event due to the gas prices. If it contimues to go up I do see a lot of us reenactors backing out due to the cost. I know with us coming from Ohio it is going to be a few bucks to get there and back. But this is once in a lifetime to go to something like this.

i also heard that the parade there putting on is supose to be the largest military parade ever seen in reenacting but like yall said due to the increasing gas it might not

I was told over the weekend that I would be foolish to take my kids, as reenactors, to manasses. Is this true?

My kids are ages 8 and 11 and know to not run away from me. They help with chores and wont be running off with strangers.

Do many other re-enactors take their kids to this one?

Had the person who gave you the advice attended a reenactment at Manassas? If not, I'd ignore it. If so, I'd want to know why. Maybe the conditions are miserable -- heat, dust, long lines to the porta-potties?

I was told over the weekend that I would be foolish to take my kids, as reenactors, to manasses. Is this true?

My kids are ages 8 and 11 and know to not run away from me. They help with chores and wont be running off with strangers.

just like ole said that would be the only reason why not to reenactments big or small are awsome places for kids to go to the wonderful learning experinces and they can meet others kids there age, if there are any, and relate to them as they get older so i wouldnt see why taking them would be a problem

BJ_BOBBI_JO, ma'am;

You wrote:

I could check out the information for you but, I rather wait a bit until all the conformations are in, if any last minute changes are made and get in touch with those commanders who will be in charge of the whole military ballet` that will take place on the battlefield. Civilians in a reenactment capacity or not, will not be allowed during the battle. Too dangerous. As far as children go, there may be a required waiver in addition to the registration. This should be something that you should contact the Prince William organizers of the event, to whom are in charge of creating, registration and the organization of the whole four day weekend--not just the military exhibitions. There will be areas for exhibitions that will be off the battlefield and assigned to under tents and or near to the demonstration, sutlers row, etc.

Mid-June I suspect things will have shaken out a bit more.

I do know we're having an exceptionally rainy season. Humidity is high now. Skeeters are biting as if starved and ticks are a bumper crop. Please, please --if you bring kids and others, check for ticks everywhere--to include the privates. Have no idea what the snake population is currently in the area but, having ridden the horse trails through the years, there are plenty of snakes, deer, fox and other wild life.

Just some thoughts.

M. E. Wolf

To BJ_BOBBI_JO

Only thing I can think of if size is n't an issue for you, is the heat. I attended the 2nd manassas reenactment a few years back... maybe the 135th? Can't remember for sure but it was HUGE! 20k reenactors I think I heard. But it was seriously hot. I remember the women passing out ice as we marched down the fields that we were shoving down our backs and stuffing in our caps. There were also a lot of ambulances during the reenactment taking people that passed out from heat stroke. Other than those reasons I can't really think why you wouldn't want to take your kids.

Back